Multilingual Website: applying code footers for each language

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: https://lifelab.world/en/home

Hello! 

I need some help please. I am on a SS 7.0 with brine template. I have been doing my research here on the forum and have been applying codes for solution for the footer to work and display the correct language. However, I have no luck.

I made 2 footers from the Top footer blocks for EN and Bottom footer blocks for DE. I am trying this code, but it does not seem to work.

This is from @tuanphan

Add 2 sections in Footer for 2 languages

• Top section for English
  • Bottom section for DE

Next, find this code

if (lang == "de") {
    $('a[href="/"]').attr("href", "/de/home/");
  }

edit it to

if (lang == "de") {
    $('a[href="/"]').attr("href", "/de/home/");
	$('body').addClass('body-de');
  }

Next, add this to Code Injection > Header

<style>
  body.body-de footer.sections section:nth-child(1) {
  	display: none;
  }
  body:not(.body-de) footer.sections section:nth-child(2) {
  }
</style>

Am I doing something wrong? 

For reference, I followed this solution in creating a multilingual site: https://www.bradgood.net/articles/multi-language-content-on-any-squarespace-template

Thank you in advance!

P.S.:

I currently put the code to hide the bottom footer block so only 1 footer will show on the website

.Footer-blocks--bottom {

display:none;

}

Edited by Naomi-lifelab
  • Solution
5 hours ago, Naomi-lifelab said:

I made 2 footers from the Top footer blocks for EN and Bottom footer blocks for DE. I am trying this code, but it does not seem to work.

You've followed Brad's excellent article fine but there's an issue with your CSS - that isn't from the guide. 

You've added a "body-de" class to indicate when the German pages are shown which is great, but the classes you have used for the footer section are not correct for your Brine-family template.

The classes for the footer sections in your template are "Footer-blocks--top" (for EN) and "Footer-blocks--bottom" (for DE). You should therefore be able to use something like this instead:

.body-de .Footer-blocks--bottom {
  display: unset;
  }
.body-de .Footer-blocks--top {
  }  

body:not(.body-de) .Footer-blocks--bottom {
}
body:not(.body-de) .Footer-blocks--top {
}

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

On 2/18/2022 at 1:32 AM, paul2009 said:

You've followed Brad's excellent article fine but there's an issue with your CSS - that isn't from the guide. 

You've added a "body-de" class to indicate when the German pages are shown which is great, but the classes you have used for the footer section are not correct for your Brine-family template.

The classes for the footer sections in your template are "Footer-blocks--top" (for EN) and "Footer-blocks--bottom" (for DE). You should therefore be able to use something like this instead:

.body-de .Footer-blocks--bottom {
  }
.body-de .Footer-blocks--top {
  }  

body:not(.body-de) .Footer-blocks--bottom {
}
body:not(.body-de) .Footer-blocks--top {
}

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Hello paul2009,

Thank you so much! It worked, I am not that skilled. I just use the forum to learn and explore more. I make sure I exhaust all options and if I am really stuck, I ask here. I am so thankful and glad with this community. 🙏

Have an amazing day! 

Thanks / danke. It's a pleasure to help.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.