Creating Product Category Pages Quickly

Site URL: https://www.mettlegifts.com/

Hey All,

So pretty simple one, I just seem to be stuck - I am uploading a new product feed with a bunch of new categories (eg. Organic Wine) which my existing products will be categorised in. 

I would like for each of these new categories to be it's own page - eg. an 'Organic Wine' (/organic-wine) page that's automatically filled with all the products in that category. 

However, unlike Shopify or Woocom, it doesn't appear Squarespace has an option for automatically or quickly creating these product category pages? I think I must be missing something though as category pages are the backbone to any good site e-com geared in anyway towards search traffic and manually creating each one seems ridiculous.

Would be awesome to get an idea of the best solution (if anyone has found one) or a quick guide on what I'm missing.

Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/16/2022 at 9:10 AM, WCMANN said:

Unlike Shopify or Woocom, it doesn't appear Squarespace has an option for automatically or quickly creating these product category pages? I think I must be missing something

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you're asking about how to create categories within a Store page, you can do this manually by editing a Store page's settings panel.

However, as your Squarespace 7.0 site will be limited to 200 products per page, and does not have nested categories, you may need to import your products into a number of different Store pages, each with a separate name that represents a high-level category. It will depend on how many products you have. I could only see 16 products on the site at the moment.

For more details about product categories, see Organizing Products.

Edited by paul2009
edited for clarity

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Oh. So, it is the ridiculous option then...  thanks for the advice. 

How would I create the categories manually - I can't even seem to be able to pull products onto a shop page using categories? I actually have to make each page and then populate it product by product?

Surely not.

Edited by WCMANN
On 2/17/2022 at 3:13 PM, WCMANN said:

How would I create the categories manually

The article that I linked in my earlier post should explain how to manually create categories. They must be added to each store page separately. If you have your product data in an appropriately formatted spreadsheet, you can import them directly to a product page. Of course as you are using Squarespace, you'll only be able to import up to 200 per page.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Ok, Thanks Paul ☺️

Yep get you can make products, and I have a uploaded a csv with the products and their correct categories & tags. I assumed that this would then make subsequent category pages (much like woocommerce). However since it didn't I reached out on this thread. Eg. I have a product category that's organic wine, but theres no automatic URL (eg /product-category/organic-wine) that's populated with products in that category. 

So just to confirm - in order to create a 'category page' (eg /product-category/organic-wine) the reality is I have to create a new page (eg. a new page called /Organic-Wine), click the product block add thing and add each product in the organic wine category one at a time to that page. 

So if I have say 50 categories, I will need to repeat this for every page, individually adding every applicable product 50 times?

Thanks so much for the help and so sorry if I am asking the same thing again, just want to be sure before I undertake this task which now seems herculean in size for something so simple.

Edited by WCMANN
On 2/18/2022 at 7:32 AM, WCMANN said:

I have a product category that's organic wine, but there's no automatic URL (eg /product-category/organic-wine) that's populated with products in that category. 

On Squarespace 7.0, Squarespace uses URL query of ?category= to 'create' category specific pages. 

For example, if you are adding your products to a Store page called "Gift Boxes" and you have created a category called "Ethical Gift" then Squarespace can show this category with the following URL:

https://www.mettlegifts.com/gift-boxes?category=Ethical Gift

You can create a link like this automatically by going to the Pages panel and adding a 'Link'. For more information, see Linking to categories or tags.

I see that thanks Paul,

There's no way to make these static pages easily is there? (Also these query parameters are canonicalled to the shop page so wouldn't be indexed anyway.)

Can I just make a page and and add all products in a selected category?

I really just want a quick way to make static pages that automatically adds products on it from a specific category or tag.

Pretty much just like this:

https://byronbaygifts.com.au/collections/vegan-gift-hampers

(this is built on shopify, - there's a category template, products are fed into specific collection pages through specified tags)

That way I don't have to spend hours creating new static pages.

Thanks again for the help!

Edited by WCMANN
1 hour ago, WCMANN said:

Can I just make a page and and add all products in a selected category?

You can create a page and add a Summary Block to show up to 30 products in a selected category.