Shopify Product CSV Import Not Working

Hi

I have recently migrated from Shopify to SquareSpace and I am writing this post to start a conversation about the whys and hows of this failure. If there is a direct import option, one would think that a script will reformat the CSV file to be acceptable. This is not the case.

I contacted customer support and they answer was " we do not control what Shopify does", this is just an unacceptable answer. If there is an option advertised to work, we, the customers, expect it to work. The least that can happen is to post a message saying the third party service has changed things as we are working on it.

I have spent days trying to figure this out to no avail. To newcomers, this will have to be done manually by changing the column headers in your Shopify exported CSV and deleting the remainder.

I hope I am wrong, this is why I am starting a conversation here.

• 11 months later...

I'm trying to import a csv file of products I exported from a Shopify store to Squarespace 7.1 and it's been displaying an error.

I figured this is an error with Squarespace 7.1 as I've done it several times on version Squarespace 7.0 successfully.

Each time I try to import the csv file, it returns this error: 

Make sure your CSV file is formatted correctly and try importing again.

I'm trying to import the file as it is without any edits.

Could there something I'm doing wrong?

image.thumb.png.c5963cb12f75047182fd6d8ffda6f2c2.png

• 6 months later...

Hi! I am mocking up a Squarespace site for a client who currently uses Shopify. I don't want to spend time moving over products manually/individually when this is just a demo site to show her what Squarespace can do. I am trying to use the product import by downloading a group of sample products from Shopify but every single time I go to import into Squarespace it gives me an error message to check formatting. I am going through the Shopify specific csv upload, so not sure what is up! Plus, if she does end up moving over to Squarespace, it would really sell her on it if I could just take the whole store and import it over. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 1.23.31 PM.png

On 2/14/2022 at 9:23 PM, destinyestringer said:

I am trying to use the product import by downloading a group of sample products from Shopify but every single time I go to import into Squarespace it gives me an error message to check formatting.

It's virtually impossible for us to offer any additional advice without access to the CSV file.

The Shopify specific import is usually straightforward so if it isn't working, I recommend looking through the CSV file to see if there are any obvious issues. This guide covers the steps: Importing products from Etsy, Shopify, and Big Cartel - but you're probably aware of this.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

I cannot see any issues with the format. I tried another Shopify CSV and saw the same error. Looks like an issue that will require help from Customer Care.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

After much trial and error I figured it out. It will import it you create and title the columns the same as the squarespace product export. 

So, I had to add about missing columns.

Product ID [Non Editable]    

Product Type [Non Editable]    

Product Type [Non Editable]    

Product Page    

Stock    

CATEGORIES    

Visible

On Sale

Product URL (copy product title and slugify it with dashes)

Weight

Width

Length

Height

Then change these:

Variant sku - change to SKU

Variant price - change to Price

Image URL - change to Hosted Image URLs

IF you are uploading as generic CSV it will give you all of these changes as error codes. 

Then for good measure I uploaded as a shopify csv file.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, I saw numerous other posts about this but there was never any kind of resolution to any of them, so figured I'd ask again. Trying to import a plain CSV exported directly from my Shopify shop, I get the following error: "Import Failed: Make sure your CSV file is formatted correctly and try importing again." This is after clicking the "Shopify" option in the import CSV interface. What can I do to resolve this issue? See attached for exported CSV from Shopify. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1b44cNppce27hUVx37jCuSU5LqU-62MRL-xCq1C8etMA/edit?usp=sharing

5 hours ago, chapelridge said:

See attached for exported CSV from Shopify.

I don't have a solution at this time but I wanted to thank you for including a link to the CSV. 

It can go a long way in helping us to help you and many folks don't include enough information about their issue on first post for us to begin to help. We end up having to chase after the needed info.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

5 hours ago, chapelridge said:

Trying to import a plain CSV exported directly from my Shopify shop

It appears the file you provided has been edited after it was downloaded from shopify. Can you provide us with the raw file from shopify?

As a note. @destinyestringer's February 14, 2022 post, the file imports currently. It appears SS may have fixed that particular issue.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 4 months later...

Hello, I see this was posted 3 years ago and Im still experiencing the same problem, seeing the same error window as all of you above. I was expecting to simply download CSV file with all my products from Shopify and simply import it (as advised by Squarespace) to Squarespace.

I am attaching two raw files I downloaded from Shopify. One is plain CSV, the other was said to be CSV for Excel etc. I did not edit them at all.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/137SRiJ67KQk0jqSeSySee8Gm2JE1WVfC/view?usp=share_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_ipHoXJnuEU1RQbrmIQm6imFsChAv402/view?usp=share_link

I gotta say, I am also experiencing the same problem when importing old mailing contacts.

I was hoping to get a smooth transfer as all Squarespace articles suggest there is, but i am spending with it more time than I would like to....

10 hours ago, Baru said:

seeing the same error window as all of you above.

I just imported the file in @destinyestringer's February 14, 2022 post previously in the thread. So that can be used as an example of a working file as of this date.

I compared your file to the working file and the columns are different. If you add the missing columns to your file and make sure the order of yours is the same, I think you'll get the import to work.

Why your columns are different I don't know. Shopify could have updated their format and Squarespace is behind. Or, some settings in your Shopify account/export are producing a different format.

Let us know how it goes.

@Baru There has been a recent update to the CSV format on Shopify's end. As a result, Squarespace are currently investigating the issue where Shopify CSV files don't import into Squarespace.

As a workaround, you may want to compare the working CSV file (mentioned above) with your recently exported file. You'll want to ensure that only the columns you see in the working file are included in the CSV file you're attempting to upload. Any extra columns or columns in different order will cause the import to fail. You can then go ahead and try the import process again.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

On 10/15/2023 at 2:22 PM, paul2009 said:

@Baru There has been a recent update to the CSV format on Shopify's end. As a result, Squarespace are currently investigating the issue where Shopify CSV files don't import into Squarespace.

As a workaround, you may want to compare the working CSV file (mentioned above) with your recently exported file. You'll want to ensure that only the columns you see in the working file are included in the CSV file you're attempting to upload. Any extra columns or columns in different order will cause the import to fail. You can then go ahead and try the import process again.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Thank you for this update! I'll follow along for updates on the fix.