SITE FUNCTIONALITY question - how much coding work would this be?

Site URL: http://www.jessiefeinart.com

I want my website to have a landing page that directs to 3 separate and unconnected portfolio "areas". I'd like for each's navigation to be unique to the particular portfolio. 

I will need to hire someone to code or customize to make this possible - however I am unknowledgeable about how much work this is to accomplish. I'd like to be able to spend some money - but don't have much more than a couple hundred dollars so I wanted to see how realistic this was before wasting someone's time. 

Also, not sure if this is better served through a different website platform that can accommodate what I want better?

Any information would be greatly appreciated -  I'm trying to get a better understanding of what I am looking for/asking for before I approach a professional. Thank you for taking the time! 

• Replies 2
  • Views 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello!

This is possible with some CSS and I don't think it will be too hard of a task for an experienced developer, however it will probably require maintenance from coders in the future if you do not know how to update it yourself. Most website building platforms that I know of only allow one navigation per website, so I don't know if you'll have much luck there.

The strategy I would use is to group all of the page links together, so like make the first few links the "part 1 area," then the next few would be the "part 2 area" navigation, and then the last few would be the "part 3 area" navigation. Then, I would use CSS rules on each page to hide whichever navigation links should be hidden.

Also make note that the navigation items on the mobile fold-out menu will need to be hidden. Sometimes people forget there are different CSS selectors for those than the ones on desktop.

Edited by Caroline_Smith

Feel free to email me with any customization inquiries or questions you may have!

Free Squarespace Resources: DevTools Minicourse,  11-Step Guide to Improve Custom CSS, Free Product/Pricing Comparison Table Generator

16 hours ago, jessifyn said:

I want my website to have a landing page that directs to 3 separate and unconnected portfolio "areas". I'd like for each navigation to be unique to the particular portfolio. 

This is similar to how multilingual sites work, where there are a number of separate navigations, one for each language.

If your site is on a Business Plan or above it's possible to create these separate navigations themed for your portfolio areas instead of different languages. Here's a great guide that offers a detailed explanation of how to do this: https://www.bradgood.net/articles/multi-language-content-on-any-squarespace-template. This will give you an idea of how much effort is involved.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.