Make Primary Meta Content The Location on Blog Summary Page

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I am considering migrating my travel blog to Squarespace, so I am also curious about how to list the blog posts' Location metadata on the main blog page.

If I create a summary block on another page, it's easy to add the Location metadata above each post within that summary block (following the basic instructions and selecting from the available metadata options: None, Date Posted, Category, Tags, Author, Location, Comments).

But for some reason, I can't do the same thing on the main page of the blog itself; there, I'm obliged to choose from among a shorter list of metadata options (Categories, Date, Author, None). 

Is there an easy solution? Or would this require switching templates (or editing the existing template code)?

(FYI, my blog is currently in trial status, using Mérida template)

On 6/3/2022 at 9:29 PM, ibnibnbattuta said:

I am considering migrating my travel blog to Squarespace, so I am also curious about how to list the blog posts' Location metadata on the main blog page.

If I create a summary block on another page, it's easy to add the Location metadata above each post within that summary block (following the basic instructions and selecting from the available metadata options: None, Date Posted, Category, Tags, Author, Location, Comments).

But for some reason, I can't do the same thing on the main page of the blog itself; there, I'm obliged to choose from among a shorter list of metadata options (Categories, Date, Author, None). 

Is there an easy solution? Or would this require switching templates (or editing the existing template code)?

(FYI, my blog is currently in trial status, using Mérida template)

Can you share link to blog? We can help easier

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

17 hours ago, ibnibnbattuta said:

Thanks for your patience, I've just done some site upgrades and made my blog public:

https://ibnibnbattuta.com/

I'm still very interested in a solution for this! Thank you in advance for any assistance that anyone can provide.

You mean this? Not possible. You can consider adding it in Excerpt.

this24.thumb.png.d34ae7fa29e0cb37571b09ae2117bf34.png

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

Thank you, @tuanphan. Yes, that's the location metadata I'm hoping to show. It's already saved in hundreds of blog posts I've imported, and I'll soon use it to populate a map widget of all my travels, so I definitely want to maintain it there rather than manually transfer it into the excerpts.

• If it's not possible to display each post's location metadata on the main blog page then I guess I will have to replace the main page with a summary page in order to show it there. Not ideal, but a feasible workaround.
  • How about on individual blog post pages? Is there any way to get that location metadata to display there? As you can see in this image, the menu only offers a few options (categories, date, author name, author profile).

Overall, I'm disappointed that Squarespace provides for location metadata on individual blog posts, but then doesn't seem to give many options to actually use it anywhere. Or maybe I just need to change to a different template?

menu.png

• 1 year later...