Need Help with Product ID for Pinterest Tag

Hi @clairecampion. Sorry for the delayed response. I ended up having to hire a developer to do this for me, since I have so many products. He did it exactly the way you mentioned - by adding a data layer in Google Tag Manager. I don't really understand much beyond that though.

If you want to go that route, and aren't confident that you can do it yourself, here's the info for the developer I hired: George Dilthey - georgedilthey@gmail.com

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys! I took on a project for a client last week and didn't give a second thought "Pinterest eCommerce integration" in the brief's to do list! Assumed it would be as simple as connecting GA to the site... BIG mistake. 😂 While I have intermediate coding knowledge, soon into the task, I thought it was beyond me and thank you @foxfacedesign for the recommendation re George. I contacted him and he seems wonderful but as I hadn't built outsourcing into my fee for this project, I decided to try to work it out myself and I think I have... Well the all the tags are now functional in good health at least! Just a few pointers, re product ID (the original topic of this thread), you can draw this from the csv file that can be exported from the inventory in the ecommerce section of your SS dashboard. While I used these for the script, going by the Squarespace to Pinterest Catalog converter (recommended by Andrea Li in her very informative article on the topic), Pinterest may prefer the SKU number to be the product ID. These can also be found in the inventory csv export...  This is what I went with in my catalog resubmission so time will tell... And I am a bit worried that this may cause a conflict with the product ids i used int he code. Will update when we hear back! 

On the more general front, I initially started making progress with Pinterest tags by using Google Tag Manager. I got the Addtocart and signup tags working this way but then I realised focusing on the integration through GTM wasn't much use when you couldn't track the actual checkouts this way due to SS' robust separate checkout system.

Also once I got the checkout tags working, the GTM addtocart tags stopped working anyway and so I had to go back to the drawing board there. I am happy I embarked on the GTM journey though as it gave me a whole new understanding of how tracking works - triggers etc.  While I feel it is too early to really be celebrating (I will wait for a successful catalogue integration for that!) getting all the tag areas to turn green felt like a big win after lots of trial and error and I just wanted to share some of the resources that really helped me along the way:

https://www.analyticsmania.com/post/implement-pinterest-pixel-with-google-tag-manager/

https://www.bluehillsdigital.com/articles/google-tag-manager-squarespace/

https://www.sqspthemes.com/blog/pinterest-event-tracking-with-squarespace