Recaptcha Issues

Site URL: https://www.blueturtlepsychology.com.au/

I'm having some issues setting up the recaptcha in the newsletter block. I've followed the step by step instructions for set up and have pasted in the External API keys. The recaptcha box shows in editing mode but on the live website it isn't there and the submit button doesn't work when an email is entered. If I disable the recaptcha then the sign up works fine. Any ideas why?

To be honest, this looks like a Squarespace bug ("technical issue") but it is very difficult to diagnose issues like this remotely, especially when there isn't a reCAPTCHA on the site. Perhaps you have removed it @organic_emma due to the error?

Your screenshot looks fine. On behalf of a client isn't an issue either. If it isn't working, it could be a site-specific issue, but this would require someone to log on to the sites (Google and Sqsp) to. If it helps, I've checked other Squarespace sites and they are working fine.

Update: 05 February 2022:

Squarespace - "I can confirm this is related to an issue with reCAPTCHA on our end. I've reported your case to our Engineering team, and they’re currently prioritizing the issue."

Edited by paul2009
Confirmed by Customer Care

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Yes, let us know how you get on. 🙂

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Hi @paul2009 I just received this response from Squarespace:

After looking into this for you, I can confirm this is related to an issue with reCAPTCHA on our end. I've reported your case to our Engineering team, and they’re currently prioritizing the issue.

For the time being, you may want to consider this workaround:

After the customer making changes in the Newsletter Block, click out of the block menu before saving the page.

I want to set the expectation that this is an alternative solution you can use temporarily, rather than a permanent fix for the exact issue.

Please keep in mind that there are many moving parts we need to address before we roll out a solution. We thoroughly test all fixes before they’re released.

As a result, we can’t guarantee how long it will take to fix issues like the one affecting your site. Also, because of the volume of reports we receive, we can’t always follow up personally when the issue is resolved.

That being said, customer bug reports are an important part of how we continue to improve our platform.

Please do let me know if there's any other way we can help you or if you have further questions, we're always here to help.

I tried doing the workaround but it didn't work, so it seems we'll just have to wait until the issue is resolved.

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, nathan said:

Hi, @organic_emma,

Has there been any solution to this problem? I've been having the same issue.

Answering myself…

Turns out I was using keys for reCAPTCHA v3, which are not supported by Squarespace. (Explained in Troubleshooting section here: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/115013193528#toc-troubleshooting).

Created v2 keys in my reCAPTCHA console and it is working now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I reached out directly to squarespace customer service and received a how to fix for this issue that I can confirm works! see below

I had a look at this and I do see what you're referring to. I also noticed something. If you go into Edit and only enable reCAPTCHA, it isn't giving you the ability to save my changes. If you edit anything else in that newsletter block, however, it does. 

If you go into Edit for that page, then enable reCAPTCHA, change one other thing (it doesn't matter what) in that block, or even outside of that block so that you get the option to save your changes instead of just clicking Done then it will work in publish.

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issue as everyone else. Works in Edit mode, but does not in live. 
I tried the workaround suggested on the last post, making a change and then choosing Save, instead of Done, and it still does not work.

I tried numerous ways of editing. Just adding an extra character to the page. I changed a setting with my newsletter. Then even disabled reCAPTCHA, saved it, then enabled it, and saved it again.  Still works in edit mode, but does not in live mode.  Also made sure that I was using V2. 

On 7/17/2022 at 10:21 PM, stuck8 said:

I am having the same issue as everyone else.

If you have added both domain names to the reCAPTCHA settings (the one ending in .squarespace.com and the primary domain name that you chose) then I recommend you reach out to Squarespace Customer CareThe forum community would love to help but we are unable to troubleshoot features that are not working as expected.

Edited by paul2009

I had this issue like others on the site, and have now resolved it after getting contacted by Squarespace support. 

Answer (for me at least). When you set up your reCAPTCHA in google, I was following the instructions and JUST put my site address that shows up when I am editing, the url that ends in squarespace.com. Thus it worked while in edit mode. However, you ALSO need to add your end user URL, or the URL that the visitor uses (that is not working). Once I added that, then it worked. 

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/115013193528-Adding-Google-reCAPTCHA-to-forms#toc-troubleshooting

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2022 at 5:50 PM, stuck8 said:

I had this issue like others on the site, and have now resolved it after getting contacted by Squarespace support. 

Answer (for me at least). When you set up your reCAPTCHA in google, I was following the instructions and JUST put my site address that shows up when I am editing, the url that ends in squarespace.com. Thus it worked while in edit mode. However, you ALSO need to add your end user URL, or the URL that the visitor uses (that is not working). Once I added that, then it worked. 

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/115013193528-Adding-Google-reCAPTCHA-to-forms#toc-troubleshooting

Sorry what do you mean by adding your end user url? So just to plain URL for your website? For instance I have added

Morrisinteractive.squarespace.com

Do I need to just add

Morrisinteractive.ca 

as well?

Thanks for any info! I have having a problem with it saying :ERROR for site owner:
Invalid domain for site key

15 minutes ago, Morris123 said:

I have added morrisinteractive.squarespace.com. Do I need to just add morrisinteractive.ca as well?

Yes.

• 4 months later...
On 12/31/2022 at 8:00 AM, evan said:

Has anyone had any progress with this issue? It's the same case for me. The recaptcha is shown in the admin panel, but not on the live, user-facing site. I've tried different browsers as well.image.thumb.png.82596743d4507c04500bd2b33b0db348.png

CleanShot 2022-12-30 at 18.59.23@2x.png

What is your site url? We can check easier

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 1 month later...