Member area homepage link - enable/disable login/account links

Oddly, when a member logs in to a member area, the browser is not redirected to the member homepage. I find this very awkward.

One suggestion was to create a link to the member homepage in the main menu. When a user is not logged in, the link will ask them to sign up, or sign in. Of course the problem with this is that there is a member homepage link, and also a login link.

I found that it is possible to disable the login link using header admin tools (great!), but this also disables the account link once the member is logged in (not great).

Q: Is there a css trick the will hide the login link in the main menu, but then not hide the account link in the member menu? Note that I have the member menu replacing the main menu.

Thanks! James

• Replies 6
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will help us if you can give us some additional context:

• We need to know the site's URL. This is essential for any question that involves code because it allows us to see the version/template and test potential solutions.
  • Screenshots of the issue(s).
  • A username/password for a member (or allow us to create one) so that we can logon to test it.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Thanks very much Paul,

Hopefully the following provides sufficient information.

I’ve set up a member account at:
https://caterpillar-apricots-k88b.squarespace.com/ (site password: MrBubbles)

Member credentials:
sqsptest@roseandermain.com
sqsptest123

You’ll see that if you log in using the standard LOGIN link, you do not go to the member homepage automatically. To me this is odd.
I created a custom link in the main navigation called ALT LOGIN which asks for signup, or signin and connects to the proper member homepage.

The problem is that we now have two ways to get in.

It turns out that it is possible to disable the standard LOGIN link by editing site header elements. However, this also disables the ACCOUNT panel within the member area. So, my hope is that there is a way to have it both ways. My question again:

Is there a css trick the will hide the LOGIN link in the main menu, but then not hide the ACCOUNT link in the member menu? 

Much appreciated!
James
Edited by RoseanderMain
forgot to add a thanks!!

Hey James

Thanks for providing the additional information. I'm now on the same page!

On Squarespace, the user account link in the header is captioned as 'Login' when the user hasn't been authenticated, and this caption changes to 'Account' when a user has been authenticated by logging in.

To hide the link when it's labelled Login, you can add this Custom CSS:

.user-accounts-link .unauth {
  visibility: hidden;
}

This will leave a space where the 'Login' link would have been, and the 'Account' link will appear in this space when the user has logged in.

If you'd prefer the 'Login' link to be removed and the gap to be closed, you’ll need some custom JavaScript to be written instead.

I hope this helps.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi James, I'm having some trouble with this too. When my members login, my website takes them to my old homepage rather than my new one. Is there anyway that when they login, they land straight on the the homepage I have set within the membership area? 
My website is www.id-wellness.com
Thank you!