Portfolio site for a Science Communicator, any feedback appreciated! ☺️

Site URL: https://www.meganhochstrasser.com/

Hi everyone, I've just made my personal site live and would appreciate feedback on any aspect of it! 

https://www.meganhochstrasser.com/

I wanted a place to display the various types of work that I do so that potential collaborators or future employers can get a sense of my skillset and style. I'd especially like to catch any typos, missing alt text, quirks of particular browsers/devices, problematic custom css (I added a surprising amount but am not a pro so I'm not sure if anything is inefficient), etc. 

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow - you do very cool stuff. 

I think it looks very good. I didn't thoroughly proofread it but I did read all the pages and nothing jumped out at me. If I were going to engage with you, I would find this very helpful. 

I like the teal color and the moving image immediately made me think of biology.

I would consider using different quotes on each page. I think it would encourage viewers to look at every page (especially nerdy viewers like me.)

5 hours ago, charbar said:

Wow - you do very cool stuff. 

I think it looks very good. I didn't thoroughly proofread it but I did read all the pages and nothing jumped out at me. If I were going to engage with you, I would find this very helpful. 

I like the teal color and the moving image immediately made me think of biology.

I would consider using different quotes on each page. I think it would encourage viewers to look at every page (especially nerdy viewers like me.)

Thank you so much!!! ☺️ 

I didn't think anyone would respond, it definitely makes me feel better than another pair of eyes has reviewed my site. I like your idea about using different quotes, I'll look around and see if there are others that speak to me. 😁

Looks pretty cool Megan. Very interesting work and I like the colour as well.

The front page static effect and the simple text buttons confused me a little as I wasn't sure if they were buttons or just text. I went for the top menu straight away.

I wonder if you could change the front page to 4 "sections" and have those images as separate backgrounds (under the text). Each on their own section and an extra section for the quote as well.

I'd make the quote just a section with a textbox instead of using the Quote feature as it isn't particularly eye-catching. Just use centered H2 for the quote and something smaller for the quote source underneath.

Maybe make the footer section black to ground the whole page as well.

Very, very rough sketch attached.

IMG_20220203_130903.jpg