Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search

Issues with Squarespace not collecting correct Tax rates

Site URL: https://kundalikombucha.com

Hello,

I have tried all the different options I can think of:

• manually entering every Zip code/range I possibly can
  • making the entire state a high enough tax rate that it covers all taxes in my area
  • using TaxJar to automatically enter tax rates

... & squarespace somehow still won't collect the correct tax rates every time when purchases are made from my online store. For example, say someone makes a $26 purchase from zip code 80026, where the tax rate is %8.485. Squarespace manages to calculate the correct amount of tax for this purchase ($2.20). Now say someone makes the same $26 purchase but from zip code 80211, where the tax rate is %8.0. For some reason, this time Squarespace only takes $1.04.

This is very frustrating and cuts into my revenue. Can someone please assist me?

Thank you,
-K

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, kristianhval said:

Squarespace somehow still won't collect the correct tax rates every time when purchases are made from my online store

If you sell in the United States, you can use the TaxJar extension to calculate sales tax automatically at checkout, based on your customer’s shipping or billing address. This extension is supposed to automatically calculate tax rates for states, counties, cities and zip codes, using TaxJar’s real-time sales tax data. You'll need to be on a Commerce plan to use it.

Did this help today? Please provide feedback by clicking 'Like' or 'Thanks' below  ⬇️

Improve your online store with our extensions.
About: Sqsp Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, appreciation and great design ♥.
Work: Squarespace Expert and founder of SF Digital, dedicated to improving websites by building the features Squarespace didn't include™.
Content: Links in my posts may refer to SF Digital products or may be affiliate links.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm having a similar but different problem. I have connected the TaxJar extension and set it up completely. In Squarespace's Commerce section, I checked that I want sales tax added at checkout. Yet when I do a checkout in trial mode, sales tax is not added even though there is a line item for it. Do you know what's going wrong? 

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2022 at 12:05 PM, crisisandcreativity said:

Hi, I'm having a similar but different problem. I have connected the TaxJar extension and set it up completely. In Squarespace's Commerce section, I checked that I want sales tax added at checkout. Yet when I do a checkout in trial mode, sales tax is not added even though there is a line item for it. Do you know what's going wrong? 

I'm having this same issue! Were you able to fix it? I have talked to support and they said everything in my account looks correct and they don't know why it isn't working which is obviously not helpful.

22 hours ago, LindyStark said:

I'm having this same issue! Were you able to fix it? I have talked to support and they said everything in my account looks correct and they don't know why it isn't working which is obviously not helpful.

I am also having this issue- definitely need help as I am getting orders placed and it's not collecting taxes. 

1 hour ago, CaitlynCarstens said:

I am also having this issue- definitely need help as I am getting orders placed and it's not collecting taxes. 

Are you using manual tax by state/zip code with Squarespace commerce or are you using the TaxJar integration? 

If you are using TaxJar it won't show anything in the sales tax line item at checkout if your customer's state has not been set up for tax collection in your TaxJar account. If you have not set up that state manually in TaxJar, sales tax will not be calculated until you reach economic nexus in that state.

• 1 month later...

I have a client with a similar issue.  We are in Vermont selling products to Vermont residents and the TaxJar extension isnt adding Vermont sales tax at checkout nor is TaxJar importing Squarespace products into its dashboard so that we can update the tax type on the products... Anyone have any insights on this?

On 1/4/2022 at 2:49 PM, paul2009 said:

If you sell in the United States, you can use the TaxJar extension to calculate sales tax automatically at checkout, based on your customer’s shipping or billing address. This extension is supposed to automatically calculate tax rates for states, counties, cities and zip codes, using TaxJar’s real-time sales tax data. You'll need to be on a Commerce plan to use it.

Actually, this explanation over-simplifies the Squarespace sales tax process that I, along with the previous Squarespace Customers, are struggling with. According to Squarespace, (with the Squarespace "Commerce Plan") we are able to use the "TaxJar Extension" to calculate sales tax "automatically" at checkout, based on the customer's shipping or billing address.  So, I connected the TaxJar extension to my Squarespace site by creating my free TaxJar account, and discovered sales taxes on Squarespace work for shipments to my state (New York) but not to other states.  I contacted Squarespace about this issue and they told me "Third-party extensions are outside of our scope of support" and I need to contact TaxJar. I contacted TaxJar and they told me I need to contact Squarespace about this issue, since the TaxJar engine service is included with my Squarespace commerce plan to "give access to the TaxJar engine, which provides tax calculation at checkout".  Alternatively, TaxJar is happy to up-sell me on their "TaxJar Professional Plan" features and benefits.  

So... we are being bounced around for a service that is supposed to be "automatic", and included with our Squarespace Commerce plan.

@Squarespace, if there is an "automatic" process that we are unaware of, please let us know. And if not, it seems you need to correct your service language to state the TaxJar engine will "automatically provide tax calculation at checkout" AFTER you register in every state, and AFTER you obtain a tax ID in every state.  Hoping for transparency and a user-friendly solution, thank you.

On 5/3/2022 at 4:26 PM, CaitlynCarstens said:

Hi CaitlynCarstens, Were you able to resolve this?  My comment on the thread:

According to Squarespace, (with the Squarespace "Commerce Plan") we are able to use the "TaxJar Extension" to calculate sales tax "automatically" at checkout, based on the customer's shipping or billing address.  So, I connected the TaxJar extension to my Squarespace site by creating my free TaxJar account, and discovered sales taxes on Squarespace work for shipments to my state (New York) but not to other states.  I contacted Squarespace about this issue and they told me "Third-party extensions are outside of our scope of support" and I need to contact TaxJar. I contacted TaxJar and they told me I need to contact Squarespace about this issue, since the TaxJar engine service is included with my Squarespace commerce plan to "give access to the TaxJar engine, which provides tax calculation at checkout".  Alternatively, TaxJar is happy to up-sell me on their "TaxJar Professional Plan" features and benefits.  

So... we are being bounced around for a service that is supposed to be "automatic", and included with our Squarespace Commerce plan.

@Squarespace, if there is an "automatic" process that we are unaware of, please let us know. And if not, it seems you need to correct your service language to state the TaxJar engine will "automatically provide tax calculation at checkout" AFTER you register in every state, and AFTER you obtain a tax ID in every state.  Hoping for transparency and a user-friendly solution, thank you.