what's your opinion?

3 hours ago, Ecold said:

A high percentage of my audience just go to the home page and leave rather than exploring the rest of the shop (sadly). Could I have people's opinion please on my website?

Here are some quick thoughts that I hope are helpful. As a reference (for you and anyone else reading this) here are two screenshots - firstly, the "above the fold" content that I see on desktop...

cobbledstreetshop-home-abovefold.thumb.png.d794725304295742f76ecd54e107d4fa.png

and here is the mobile homepage...

cobbledstreetshop-home-mobile.thumb.png.5c60c80a9581a156dabe23f5c5d5450d.png

1. The entire screen is a "wall of words", and this requires users to think. The first law of usability is "Don't make me think!"
  2. Attractive, relevant images and fewer words may help to convince visitors that the content is worth viewing. 
  3. Reduce the noise and avoid unnecessary use of capitals. Everything on the page is in block capital letters and is clamoring for attention. This can be overwhelming, especially for visitors with dyslexia. 
  4. Allow users to disable cookies. Users may be concerned because the site is not GDPR compliant. They will be tracked if they click on any of the links. Offer a reject option (in addition to the OK/accept option) in the cookie banner.
  5. The announcement bar content is distracting and takes up too much space. Remove everything except the free delivery message. Place the other links on the navigation.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

I am much more of an expert on online shopping than web design, but I found this page hard to figure out. There are a lot of words, plain buttons that give no idea of the types of products, a LOT of space devoted to a blog, and then an article.  The images on the page link to articles when I was expecting them to link with products. All uppercase text is hard to read and it's shouty. 

I would be more likely to shop if you talked less and showed more. The top line is unnecessary and redundant. So are the words "GIFT SHOPPING." The buttons are not helpful, very dull, and they take up a lot of space. 

This is rude, but I don't want to read your blog.  Most space on the homepage is devoted to it. 

It may be because I am not from the UK, but I didn't understand what "Shop Commissions" meant. I also didn't understand "CHRISTMAS READS" 

The site's aesthetic  is very different from most of your products. There are a lot of different fonts too.

The three column format for "OUR GOALS" is hard to read. 

menu:  Our Artists   Shop   About Us

Make the blog an item on "about us" and get rid of the "artist of the month" and "product inspiration" submenu items. Make "commissions" a product category instead of giving it a spot on the main navigation.

dedicated to discovering new artist and finding the perfect gift (link to the home page

Images - a product summary with images would work and every image will link to the product which links back to the product page. 

On 12/23/2021 at 8:29 PM, paul2009 said:

Here are some quick thoughts that I hope are helpful. As a reference (for you and anyone else reading this) here are two screenshots - firstly, the "above the fold" content that I see on desktop...

cobbledstreetshop-home-abovefold.thumb.png.d794725304295742f76ecd54e107d4fa.png

and here is the mobile homepage...

cobbledstreetshop-home-mobile.thumb.png.5c60c80a9581a156dabe23f5c5d5450d.png

1. The entire screen is a "wall of words", and this requires users to think. The first law of usability is "Don't make me think!"
  2. Attractive, relevant images and fewer words may help to convince visitors that the content is worth viewing. 
  3. Reduce the noise and avoid unnecessary use of capitals. Everything on the page is in block capital letters and is clamoring for attention. This can be overwhelming, especially for visitors with dyslexia. 
  4. Allow users to disable cookies. Users may be concerned because the site is not GDPR compliant. They will be tracked if they click on any of the links. Offer a reject option (in addition to the OK/accept option) in the cookie banner.
  5. The announcement bar content is distracting and takes up too much space. Remove everything except the free delivery message. Place the other links on the navigation.

Thank you for your feedback and i've now purchased the book! I definitely know now what you mean by overwhelming text. 

On 12/23/2021 at 8:46 PM, charbar said:

I am much more of an expert on online shopping than web design, but I found this page hard to figure out. There are a lot of words, plain buttons that give no idea of the types of products, a LOT of space devoted to a blog, and then an article.  The images on the page link to articles when I was expecting them to link with products. All uppercase text is hard to read and it's shouty. 

I would be more likely to shop if you talked less and showed more. The top line is unnecessary and redundant. So are the words "GIFT SHOPPING." The buttons are not helpful, very dull, and they take up a lot of space. 

This is rude, but I don't want to read your blog.  Most space on the homepage is devoted to it. 

It may be because I am not from the UK, but I didn't understand what "Shop Commissions" meant. I also didn't understand "CHRISTMAS READS" 

The site's aesthetic  is very different from most of your products. There are a lot of different fonts too.

The three column format for "OUR GOALS" is hard to read. 

menu:  Our Artists   Shop   About Us

Make the blog an item on "about us" and get rid of the "artist of the month" and "product inspiration" submenu items. Make "commissions" a product category instead of giving it a spot on the main navigation.

dedicated to discovering new artist and finding the perfect gift (link to the home page

Images - a product summary with images would work and every image will link to the product which links back to the product page. 

Thank you for your feedback and I know what you mean about the blog taking up the webpage. Normally I have best sellers and product categories but for Christmas, I thought I'm mix it up (bad move!). I've added your feedback to my to-do to help review my site 🙂

On 12/23/2021 at 9:06 PM, charbar said:

Also, Free Delivery should be on the product page (no one cares about the delivery fee until they are thinking about buying) the center one redundant, and what is "join us?"

I wouldn't have the pale candle image first - there are so many images that are much more interesting.

yeah I know what you mean now. How would you add the Free Delivery to the product page? would you add to the product description or where would you put it? I'll mix up the product page, normally it's just whatever new supplier I have added that day is at the top.

Thanks!