Need to be able to apply tax rates by individual product category

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Is there any word on when commerce shops on Squarespace will be able to specify if some items or product categories are exempt from sales tax? I have a client who is looking for a work around so that she doesn't charge customers for tax on a specific product category in her shop. 

I realize this isn't an option now, but it would be such a great (and necessary) feature for so many reasons!

• Solution

As I mentioned in this 2020 post, Squarespace does not support zero-rated VAT for physical products and there are no useful workarounds for this issue. The situation is unchanged today.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, ArtandPoetry said:

For the items you want to be tax exempt, you can list them as a service instead of a product.

The problem with this workaround is that service products won't prompt for shipping.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

On 2/10/2022 at 10:21 PM, ArtandPoetry said:

Maybe shipping costs could be added to the product price. Strange that this isn't an easy thing to do.

Shipping costs cannot be added to a service product so you'd need to use a physical product. Here's hoping this (and the other commerce limitations are fixed soon)!

Edited by paul2009

• 2 months later...
On 4/25/2022 at 11:11 AM, MrCutto said:

Is there any solutions on VAT and zero VAT rated products. 

VAT exemption isn’t available for individual products. See my longer answer here: 

For more information, see my up-to-date list of Squarespace Commerce Limitations.

Was this post helpful? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2022 at 1:39 PM, paul2009 said:

VAT exemption isn’t available for individual products. See my longer answer here: 

For more information, see my up-to-date list of Squarespace Commerce Limitations.

Was this post helpful? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

But in sweden we have 25% VAT. and we have 12% VAT. And we have 6% VAT & we have 0% VAT.

Is there anyway to run a SQSP commerce store legally in Sweden..? I can't see how without individual tax rates?

7 minutes ago, www.Marsden.IT said:

But in sweden we have 25% VAT. and we have 12% VAT. And we have 6% VAT & we have 0% VAT.

The issue is the same in many other countries where VAT rates also vary. In the United Kingdom, we have a standard rate of 20% that applies to most goods, a reduced rate of 5% and a 0% rate for most food and children’s clothes. 

If all your goods are subject to VAT at the same rate then Squarespace works well because you can set this VAT rate for all physical products, and optionally charge this for services.

However if you sell products outside the US that are subject to different VAT rates then Squarespace isn't currently suitable because you cannot use product tax categories outside the US.

• 5 months later...

How is this still an issue?!  New business, new site, new e-store.  Our products are GST exempt in Australia but shipping is not, we have no option or workaround for this which is really frustrating.  Having serious regrets that we didn't just go with Shopify instead!  Shopify has a checkbox and you can just make the product tax exempt, squarespace is being lazy AF.

• 2 months later...

I'm a small business owner in Australia and I sell both GST applied AND GST free products. I'm currently spending a small fortune with accountants trying to manually reconcile my sales waiting for Squarespace to catch up to their competition in this area by offering a checkbox to offer product items tax exempt. Has there been any movement in the last two years on this?? Or is there a reasonably effective workaround?? Right now my only option seems to be to move platforms back to Shopify? 

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...