Customise checkout form according to products purchased

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hi

We sell training courses, and we need to collect a fair amount of information at checkout. Some of the information is common across all courses, but some is required only for some courses. Our customers do sometimes buy two or more courses in one transaction.

The obvious alternatives seem to be 

- one product form per course:  but then we end up asking the same question multiple times, 

- one master checkout form containing all the questions that we might ever like to ask: but then we ask questions that aren't relevant, and people have to work out which they need to answer.

So, ideally, we'd have one master checkout form containing all the questions, but when you checked out, it would filter the questions and only display those that are relevant to the courses you purchased. Any ideas how this might be achieved? I can sort of imagine tagging courses and tagging questions and matching things up, I don't mind writing Javascript, but I am new to Squarespace and struggling to work out where to start. Any pointers would be great

Thanks in advance

- Dave

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Solution
On 12/21/2021 at 9:56 PM, dcleal said:

We...need to collect a fair amount of information at checkout. Some of the information is common across all courses, but some is required only for some courses. Ideally, we'd have one master checkout form containing all the questions, but when you checked out, it would filter the questions and only display those that are relevant to the courses you purchased.

As the checkout page handles payments, it cannot be customised with code, so you won't be able to create a customisable form at the checkout stage. I get asked this question a lot, so here's the more detailed answer.

As you mentioned, you can capture information using a Custom Product Form, but depending on your questions (I haven't seen the site to understand your question in context) you may be asking customers to provide duplicate information.

Other solutions may involve using a CRM package that is designed to automate customer data capture, or a third party forms provider that is adaptive and can prompt for this information after purchase.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, crisisandcreativity said:

I can't even find the Custom Product Form, only the Custom Form in checkout. The instructions in Squarespace's help center don't match what I see in my product editor.

Here's a screenshot of the new Product Composer (2.0). You'll see that the Custom Product Form section is right down at the bottom (highlighted yellow). The quick way to access it is to click 'Checkout' in the list of shortcuts in the Composer and then you'll jump there.

product-composer-2-sfdigital-highlighted.thumb.png.81f8ed34aba8f60239a82bd7272e48fa.png

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Thank you so much for answering so quickly! What I'm finding though is that that 'Custom Form' is different from 'Custom Product Form.' The custom form applies to all orders, the custom product form applies to whatever product you assign it to. 

In the yellow box here they describe the difference: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205811218

Their instructions to find the custom product form includes going to a 'customize' section which does not exist for me. Any insights on that?

Thank you!!

24 minutes ago, crisisandcreativity said:

What I'm finding though is that that 'Custom Form' is different from 'Custom Product Form.'

No, they are not different. There is only one form for products, but confusingly Squarespace tweaked the wording from Custom Product Form to Custom Forms, to try to make it easier for newcomers! Unfortunately they haven't updated their support guide either, which is probably making it even more confusing!

To add a Custom Product Form, click the Custom Forms button that I've highlighted and then add a new form. Once you've designed your form you can save it and then choose to use if for the product. When you add other products, you'll be able to choose whether you want to use the same form, use a new form, or use no form.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️