Homepage is different for Safari and Chrome, when there's no "www" in the url. WHY?

Site URL: http://no-frames.com

Hi community,

Wild. I don't understand what's going on.

My client's website displays different homepages, depending on if it's Safari or Chrome. The different old site occurs in Safari when "www" is not included in the url. Even upon refresh and clearing out cache. The current site displays in Safari only with "www". 

I looked through my client's not linked pages, but I don't see this old page anywhere...

Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 11.29.29 AM.png

your DNS records are incorrectly set. www.anywhere.com and anywhere.com are called CNAME records, which stands for canonical name records, ie names which are different versions of the same thing. Somewhere along the line your clients DNS records have not been correctly set up. it's perfectly possible in this scenario that www.somewhere.com and somewhere.com point to different places. You're also having problems with the SSL certificate that Squarespace provide which looks like an additional side effect. 

The answer to this will depend on where your domain names are registered. I would follow Squarespaces own guidelines to check your set up. they have different articles for many different domain name registrars and you can also transfer your name to Squarespace and get them to manage it all.

start here:

Connecting a domain to your Squarespace site – Squarespace Help

One site is at https://erin-judd-t7vx.squarespace.com

the other site isn't a squarespace one, looks like its hosted by a company called www.ipower.com

basically, just sort your domain name records out and you'll be fine.

Dave Hart. Software/Technology Consultant living in London. buymeacoffee 

6 minutes ago, iamdavehart said:

your DNS records are incorrectly set. www.anywhere.com and anywhere.com are called CNAME records, which stands for canonical name records, ie names which are different versions of the same thing. Somewhere along the line your clients DNS records have not been correctly set up. it's perfectly possible in this scenario that www.somewhere.com and somewhere.com point to different places. You're also having problems with the SSL certificate that Squarespace provide which looks like an additional side effect. 

The answer to this will depend on where your domain names are registered. I would follow Squarespaces own guidelines to check your set up. they have different articles for many different domain name registrars and you can also transfer your name to Squarespace and get them to manage it all.

start here:

Connecting a domain to your Squarespace site – Squarespace Help

One site is at https://erin-judd-t7vx.squarespace.com

the other site isn't a squarespace one, looks like its hosted by a company called www.ipower.com

basically, just sort your domain name records out and you'll be fine.

Cheers! Thanks so much. Oops, I should've looked into that before posting here, but maybe it will help someone else down the line!