Product quantity cannot be set to 1 in 7.1

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: http://www.madeleinewideland.com

When adding a product to a store in SQ 7.1 you must set the quantity to "2" for the quantity field to be visible on the product page. If I set it to "1" the field disappears. I've checked this with chat support and that's what they say, the number must be "2". So if I in reality have only one product of each, the system will still think that I have 2 items in stock, which means that if a customer orders 2 items of the same product (when it's only 1 available) they will not be alerted and neither will I. This will be a nightmare and I honestly don't know how to handle this. I'm starting to feel a little desperate since I was about to launch my shop today when I suddenly noticed this! Anyone?!?

• Solution
1 hour ago, Mads13 said:

If I set [the product inventory] to "1" the [quantity] field disappears.

This is true, but this is by design.

When you have two or more of any product in stock, customers are shown a quantity field allowing them to purchase more than one of the item without repeatedly clicking 'Add to Cart'.

When there's only one of an item in stock, customers can still click 'Add to Cart' to purchase it. They won't see the quantity selector because it is both unnecessary and confusing - customers would not be able to purchase two or more items, so why give them an option they cannot choose?

Can you explain why this causes you an issue? 

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

34 minutes ago, Mads13 said:

I just think it might be confusing for a customer if the quantity box is shown on certain products and not on others

I haven't seen any evidence of this in tests. If it helps, you can automatically show a limited availability label when there's only one product remaining.

For example:

product-with-limited-availability-label.thumb.png.44aada6c3a2b4b6eb17bbf126cbde423.png

Here's the settings panel:

limited-availability-label-settings.png.b85944a3cf3da5203e8bb7d9a575094f.png

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.