'View Event' Button Link to Custom URL

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hi @JAM3763 - unfortunately there isn't an easy way to do this – even if you hide the button from the Event Page, each Event Title and Event Image will still link to each individual event listing. You could set up a 301 redirect for every single individual event URL that would redirect users from the event to the external URL, but that feels hacky and likely difficult to maintain over time.

Curious to see if others have better suggestions. Noting it's a Squarespace 7.0 site, since that means the Event Page options are a little different.

--

Blue Hills Digital
Support with website optimization, SEO and finding a digital marketing strategy that works.

Latest resource: Squarespace SEO Services

@edharris

Thanks for the quick response!

Well, if hiding the button is doable, I would still go for it, despite the title/image still linking to the event page. I can add a third-party link to the excerpt and hope that most folks will click that? Ideally I would add a button to the excerpt but from what I've read, that's going to be too difficult for my client to have to deal with each time they want to add an event.

• Solution
22 hours ago, JAM3763 said:

My client wants the 'View Event' button to point to a custom URL, since all events are third-party (various third parties) hosted.

If you hide the built-in buttons, you (or your client) could then manually add a 'View Event' link to the end of the excerpt of each event.

You can do this by simply typing "View Event →" (with or without the arrow!) and then use the text formatting toolbar to add the external link. Here's a short video showing how to do this:

add-view-event-btn.gif.a4a018f15801b3e93accacd16e71d607.gif

By adding some styling to Design > Custom CSS you can make these easy-to-add links look like the buttons they are replacing:

.sqs-events-collection-list .eventlist .eventlist-event .eventlist-excerpt a {
  color: #fff;
  background-color: #c08d54;
  border-color: #c08d54;
  padding: 1em 2.5em;
}

Here's a screenshot showing the link (which is now styled to look like a button):

729061809_Screenshot2021-12-18at19_46_11.thumb.png.cf8aab7200555644eda9b00cbd132e4d.png

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
7 hours ago, em_ said:

Anyone knows if this was ever fixed

The button is still missing. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.