MENU BLOCKS / HTML Broken! - Help

Site URL: https://www.lostworldsbeer.com/beers#beer-locator

Menu Blocks (i.e. the kind a restaurant would use) no longer recognize html. I can't imagine this is anything other than an oversight/error. It's now impossible to use links in a restaurant menu <a href..., emphases <strong... <em..., and forced line breaks <br... All HTML no longer works and is written out instead. It used to be perfect for compact lists of locations, but this is how everything looks now.

Seems important to be able to indicate in bold if something is <strong>SPICY! ... or link a dish ingredient to a page describing its specific gluten alternatives <a href=... >gluten free ... or simply force a line break to call out <br><style color="yellow">CHEF SPECIAL ... in another color, so I don't feel this alternative use illustrated below is a very far stretch from the intended use of a menu.

1366792503_ScreenShot2021-12-16at6_31_21PM.thumb.png.490581c1bf56fb3ed61a360dfb6574a5.png

Edited by mattgyver
Added a few examples from typical menu case studies

It does sound like a bug but SS won't do anything about it unless they hear from every one of you that are experiencing the issue.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

On 9/12/2021 at 3:07 AM, tuanphan said:

<a href="url you want to link goes here" target="_blank">Here goes the Product name</a>

This was working great for me, but sometime in the last few days all my links stopped working and I haven’t touched anything.  Was there an update that prevents this?  If so, is there another way to link from within a menu block?

On 12/18/2021 at 2:03 AM, Leyrue said:

This was working great for me, but sometime in the last few days all my links stopped working and I haven’t touched anything.  Was there an update that prevents this?  If so, is there another way to link from within a menu block?

Can you share link to page where you have problem? We can check easier

On 12/20/2021 at 11:27 AM, ItoChristina said:

Also having the same problem, just emailed support with a screenshot. If they don't restore this functionality to the menu block I'll be switching to a different service asap.

Have you solved it yet?

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

On 12/22/2021 at 3:14 AM, tuanphan said:

Can you share link to page where you have problem? We can check easier

Have you solved it yet?

(Un)fortunately there was nothing for me to solve, it was a bug on Squarespace's end. The email I got from the support team confirmed as much. The good news is it looks like they've sorted it out!

I had to put up a new page for our New Year's Eve menu today and tried throwing in a little html/markdown just as a test and it rendered correctly.

@mattgyver I don't know if you got a response between the 16th and now, but it would be worth checking your page to see if your menu formatting is now displaying correctly!  I dropped a screenshot in from a chunk of my breakfast menu - font color, text weight/style, line breaks, and links are all working as they should 👍

breafkast html markdown.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hello - I know this matter was brought up a while ago but I seem to be having the same issue and no one said above how to resolve it. Screen shot attached. When I try to use HTML in Lists, the code appears in the actual page. I use the exact same code in Gallery and it works fine. What's going on? Can you please help? Thanks

3 minutes ago, Melbaspence said:

no one said above how to resolve it.

The resolution was that SS was having issues and SS corrected the problem on the backend.

Please post the URL for a page on your site where we can see your issue.

If your site is not public please set up a site-wide password, if you've not already done so.

Post the password here.

Adding a site-wide password does not allow anyone to alter your site. It only allows those with the password to see your site. Please read the documentation at the link provided to understand how it works.

Please read the documentation at the link provided on how to share a link to your site to understand how it works. A link to the backend of the your site won’t work for us, i.e. a url that contains /config/.

We can then take a look at your issue.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

@creedon Thanks for your response. Here's the attachment I missed before. However, I decided to format the List without the HTML anyway (using the CTA button instead). 

But that's now created a new issue. I like the padding I am able to achieve in List between the image, text and button, BUT I cannot get that same look in the Image module above. There is too much space between the image, text and button. It is also annoying that I cannot get the font sizes to match. I put this in a separate thread to keep it organized, linked here

Site is https://vuvuzela-pug-95je.squarespace.com/config/settings/advanced and password is flowerZ612

HTML not working in List.png

Edited by Melbaspence
On 4/22/2022 at 4:55 AM, Melbaspence said:

@creedon Thanks for your response. Here's the attachment I missed before. However, I decided to format the List without the HTML anyway (using the CTA button instead). 

But that's now created a new issue. I like the padding I am able to achieve in List between the image, text and button, BUT I cannot get that same look in the Image module above. There is too much space between the image, text and button. It is also annoying that I cannot get the font sizes to match. I put this in a separate thread to keep it organized, linked here

Site is https://vuvuzela-pug-95je.squarespace.com/config/settings/advanced and password is flowerZ612

HTML not working in List.png

Which page are you referring to? /config is url for site owner

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)