Adding a video background?

• Replies 65
  • Views 116.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@silvabokis my course isn't a rehash of the solutions offered in this forum. The free solutions presented are either incomplete, buggy, do not show how to autoplay or loop the video or simply don't work at all. The only other person I've seen that has successfully implemented video backgrounds properly is @alanhouser, and his answer included hiring him (not free).

Time is money, I would have gladly paid $25 to avoid dozens of hours of trial/error chasing solutions down rabbit holes.

I run the Squarespace Guru blog (www.sqsp.guru) and host the Squarespace Guru podcast.

Sorry but our free tutorial is easy to DIY (all code is provided), free of bugs, and fully responsive. It's worked perfectly for a number of individuals already (who implemented it rather quickly on their own) and they are thrilled.

Just because an answer is free does not mean it is inaccurate. There is no need to denigrate other answers in order to sell your product.

For anyone still trying to figure this out, here is the link:http://www.muno.space/code-snippets/video-backgrounds

Free Squarespace tips, tricks and customization tutorials at www.muno.space

If I view source on http://www.sqsp.guru/video-background-course the jquery code looks almost identical to yours @munocreative.

What are the odds of that happening?

Hello everyone, I do not work for Wistia but use that with most commercial projects. Vimeo will work with this method, however they are adamant about NOT given developers access to hide the play button, which makes them not usable for this idea. That's not to say Vimeo wouldn't work with other methods though. Wistia's team also built this responsive, cropping video plugin: http://wistia.com/labs/crop-fill/ which makes it perfect for many great ideas, with little to no coding. The reason I did not suggest Youtube is because it requires playing with all kinds of video parameters.

This worked perfectly for me. No need to research for more. I was able to add what I wanted to a Cover Page (which I wasn’t even expecting) and also to individual page that have a header located right underneath the navigation bar.

Templates like Bedford, Hayden, Anya, etc. worked perfectly.

Thank you! Looking forward for more tuts on your website!

According to the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, to "PLAGIARISE" means:

• to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own

• to use (another's production) without crediting the source

• to commit literary theft

• to present as new and original an idea or product derived from an existing source

Source: http://www.plagiarism.org/plagiarism-101/what-is-plagiarism/ (see what I did there?)

"The only other person I've seen that has successfully implemented video backgrounds properly is @alanhouser, "

Apart, of course, from @munocreative's solution posted earlier in this thread. You know, the one you've lifted for commercial gain.

@jasonbarone This is great! To expand on that, make sure you are choosing a template that displays those Gallery Videos as a full-page background such as Momentum, Horizon or Pacific. Incidentally, the Forte template does not accomplish the same effect due to the way it handles Index Pages.

I've got better things to do than deal with trolls. @silvabokis so many of your posts on this forum are passive aggressive and borderline rude. @munocreative, I'll look into the code being copied. I'm not a programmer...and I didn't generate the code I'm using in my course.

At the end of the day, does it really matter? You guys are making a living building websites. I'm not. I make my living convincing people that Squarespace is awesome, and then teaching them how to use the software.

Then if/when they can't do it themselves, they can hire you. Goodness.

I run the Squarespace Guru blog (www.sqsp.guru) and host the Squarespace Guru podcast.

Of course it matters. You're representing someone else's expertise as your own for financial gain without permission or crediting the source.

@SquarespaceGuru That is very disrespectful towards @silvabokis, who provides great free content through his site, which makes him very far from a troll.

And it does matter, as I created this code myself as original free content and spent quite some time working on it. You are then selling the copyrighted code as your own for financial gain, which is illegal and unethical. To top it off, you are selling our free answer right under our free answer on numerous posts. We would appreciate you taking it down before further action.

Free Squarespace tips, tricks and customization tutorials at www.muno.space

@munocreative I didn't realize I had posted immediately after your posts. I apologize for that. As for the code, I'm not a programmer so I hired that out. If the guy I hired did use your code, I will take my posts down.

By the way, it's not illegal to use code shared in forums. If you don't want your code to be used by others, don't share it. Place a copyright in the code, or ask for attribution if you do decide to share in a forum. If I wanted to copy your code and sell it as my own I would have done so a long time ago.

@SquarespaceGuru dude... $299 to learn Squarespace, come on.. I mean "$199" that's insane. There's enough free content out there to get it up and running. Unless you were born in the 1960's anybody can figure out this platform quite easily.

I'm happy there are people like @munocreative putting out free resources for those who know how to use a basic Google search.

This could've been solved by Squarespace, implementing the video background THEY use on their Seven promo page. Don't get why it takes them so long to implement features that the community is always requesting.

Just because you can figure it out @cro0w doesn't mean everyone can. Using your logic Lynda.com wouldn't be a viable platform. @munocreative and many of the top contributors in this forum are providing free help to build brand awareness. Nothing wrong with that of course, but their hope is that someone will hire them to help with a Squarespace project. Lots of people are happy to pay for my course. What are you good at? Make a course about it and sell it!

I have no problem with @SquarespaceGuru (or anyone else) selling courses. As he says above, there are many people who appreciate such courses. The effort he put into structuring, recording and editing the materials must have been huge.

My beef on this thread is to do with passing off someone else's code as his own for profit.

I personally spent 100's of hours creating the courses on my sqsp.guru website...as well as months trying to figure out this video banner solution. I finally gave up, and hired someone to create the solution for me. My solution works...the solution shared by @munocreative does not work. Look at the comments on his blog. People are stating that the banner video code does not work. Therefore if my code was the exact same code...my code wouldn't work either.

Archived