Unable to use URL of a deleted page

Hi all, I'm having some issues with the re-naming of the slug for a certain page. 

I had the page slug working fine, but deleted it subsequently after finalising the other pages. 

Now , when I tried to name it again, it prompted "prefix for the URL of another page".

I've checked all my other pages multiple times but did not find any page with the name slug name. 

I've tried signing in and out, clearing cache, using a different com to work on it, but it still prompted the same error. 

Please help if you have experience with this issue.

Thank you!1550927450_Screenshot2021-12-14at14_02_15.png.7567e8e7c1b477db7a734f5e355065ac.png

1 hour ago, visuals__sg said:

I'm having some issues with the re-naming of the slug for a certain page.

If you can’t locate the other page I recommend you get in touch with Squarespace Customer Care. You can reach out to them here.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• Susana_SQSP changed the title to Unable to use URL of a deleted page

Hi @visuals__sg

It's possible that the deleted page it's still in the trash can. If that's the case, you'll need to delete the page from there, so you can then use the desired URL. This info is outlined in the help guide that I am linking below:

URL slugs - URL slug formatting tips

If the page it's not in the trash can, then as paul2009 mentioned, I'd recommend contacting Squarespace Customer Support for personalized assistance. 

14 hours ago, Susana_SQSP said:

Hi @visuals__sg

It's possible that the deleted page it's still in the trash can. If that's the case, you'll need to delete the page from there, so you can then use the desired URL. This info is outlined in the help guide that I am linking below:

URL slugs - URL slug formatting tips

If the page it's not in the trash can, then as paul2009 mentioned, I'd recommend contacting Squarespace Customer Support for personalized assistance. 

Dear Susana, thanks for the tip. 

I've emptied the trash but it's still not working. 

I've emailed the Customer Support as well but have yet to receive a reply. 

Am running on a schedule, so I might just have to re-link all my pages.... 

Thanks anyways!

• 5 months later...

Hi. I'm having this same issue.
I'm trying to rename a URL slug back to it's previous name ( /shop/products ) from ( /shop/[products/wholesale ).
It keeps telling me that the URL I'm trying to change it back to ( /shop/[products ) is in use... which it is not... terribly frustrating. [Image attached.]
I've emptied the Trash Can even though the page was never deleted. Closed and reopened Squarespace etc etc....
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Forum Issue.jpg

28 minutes ago, Chrissi_Lynch-Whitton said:

I'm trying to rename a URL slug back to it's previous name

When SS tells you that the url is use, what happens if you type that url into the address bar, of course adding your domain name. Do you get a page back? Or, do you get the SS page not found error.

If it's the former then the page does exist and you need to change it's URL before you can reassign another to it.

Let us know how it goes.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

36 minutes ago, Chrissi_Lynch-Whitton said:

did a site map and [ /shop/products ] is not in use anywhere else. I don't understand why I cannot change it back to it's former name (URL).

I'm not saying this is your case but I assume that the sitemap would not list any page URLs that are in the trash. It wouldn't make sense for SS to do that.

Just to be sure. You've double, triple checked the trash and tried to empty it?

There are two ways I can see you can go at this point. Ask someone, with skills, you trust to access your site ( contributor invite, with administrator privileges) to check things out. Or, contact SS customer support and report your issue.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

A URL inspection on Google Search Console reveals that the URL does not exist
( https://www.chrissiscauldron.com.au/shop/products ).

My trash can is no longer there since I emptied it last night.

Seems my only options are the two you suggest. Getting someone I trust to search through the site to potentially fix it, or submitting an issue report to SS ( Customer Support ).

This is so frustrating. Must be a glitch of some kind.

Thanks for your help.

Hi.

Managed a work-around. Just renamed [ /shop/products ] to [ /shop/products-items ] and then just redirected/updated links to the new URL.

Now I'll just have to re-index the site through Google Search Console to reflect the new changes.

Incidentally, it seems that SS saves certain URL's as Reserved so they can't be re-used and Collection URL's become Reserved too... I think that's what the issue was... so we found a work-around.

Link to the SquareSpace Help page for your perusal. https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205814578#toc-change-a-page-url

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I experienced this problem and found that I had a folder/dropdown with the name "Events" and was not able to use the slug /events for a new page even though there was no other page with that URL. Even though folders/dropdowns are not navigatable, they seem to reserve the slug based on the name of the folder/dropdown.