Send email and manage customer profiles based on their specific purchases

Working for an nonprofit that sells a variety of products. Some are physical (merchandise -- dance gear, CDs, books), but our primary sales are event tickets, live workshops, and dance class series.

We often have to send out updates about classes and events and have been doing so (until recently) by exporting our sales on Squarespace and copy/pasting email addresses into our company email, then sending from there--not through squarespace. It's been a total slog and it's time to start using squarespace as our main database for emails, marketing, and customer profiles.  

While we've successfully set up automated emails via Marketing to go out immediately after specific purchases, we'd like to have a way to easily send out follow up emails to those same customers. 

Is there is a way for Squarespace to automatically populate mailing lists based on costumers' specific purchases? We only recently upgraded to user profiles so part of my confusion comes from managing profiles... Feels like there should be a way to search our customer profiles for specific item purchases but I'm not finding them. 

I see that we can manually add tags to individual customers, but that seems a little backwards to me (ex. If I want to add a tag to customers who purchase purchased tickets to a specific show (ie - Tag: "Holiday Show 2021") how can I find out who purchased them without squarespace auto-generating that information in the profiles hub? 

Trying to figure out what makes the most sense when it comes to user profile management for the org at this time. I'm not opposed to using Eventbrite or Scheduling, I just feel like there is a way to manage mailing lists and send e-blasts through squarespace based on specific purchases. Is there?

Hoping that this is possible/easy, and that I just am missing something obvious here. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm also looking for an answer to this! Has anyone had any success? We've been using Eventbrite but would rather streamline with Squarespace. In which case we need a way to message attendees for specific workshops as well as have a participant backend page with zoom information, etc that they can log into. 

On 3/1/2022 at 9:52 PM, mishasky said:

I'm also looking for an answer to this!

On 3/2/2022 at 3:49 PM, Lea1989 said:

I would also like an answer to this.

I'd love to help but it's virtually impossible to provide you with advice without more specific information about your circumstances, your website and what you are trying to achieve. 🙂

For example:

• What is the site's URL?
  • If we need a public password to access it, what is it?
  • What are you selling? Please direct us to the specific page.
  • How are you selling it ? Is it physical, service, subscription, through Scheduling, through Member Areas?

Also, many threads often go "off-topic" so your situation may be very different to that of the original post and it's easy for us to make assumptions when no new information is provided. 

On 3/1/2022 at 9:52 PM, mishasky said:

We've been using Eventbrite but would rather streamline with Squarespace. In which case we need a way to message attendees for specific workshops as well as have a participant backend page with zoom information

If it helps, Squarespace Scheduling may be suitable for your event bookings. It has a different notifications system that is managed separately from commerce notifications. They can also automatically include automatically updated Zoom (or Google Meet) links for each event. 

Edited by paul2009
typo

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Hi @paul2009, in my case, we would like to be able to sort or easily view which customer bought what (without having to download a CSV).

• using Commerce
  • 3 "service" products for sale (they are camps)
  • How can we view who signed up for which camp, without clicking in to every customer profile to check?
  • Isn't there a way to auto-tag or filter by purchase? 

thanks.

On 3/4/2022 at 11:41 PM, taylorroy said:

We would like to be able to sort or easily view which customer bought what without having to download a CSV [and] without clicking in to every customer profile to check.

I agree, I see the same issue daily. It is VERY frustrating that you cannot look through the orders panel and quickly see which "product" each customer has purchased. There is good news coming but I'll DM you about this.

For the moment here are the only two workarounds that would allow you to easily view what each customer purchased in a table style format:

1. Export to a CSV 

Yes, I know! This isn't what you want - me neither! It is far from ideal but it does save all that clicking. Problems: It's a single snapshot, it requires a separate tool and there are many more columns than you need, and so on. I see the same problems and would prefer a better solution.

2. Connect an RPA tool using the Orders API

As each order comes in, the order data could be exported to a "live" document where the required details are shown in a table format, allowing you to view the data that you need. Squarespace has an Orders API that allows a third party Robotic Process Automation (RPA) tool like Parabola or Make (formally Integromat) or hire a developer to connect to Squarespace and check for new orders (or be notified of them). The required order information can be retrieved from each order and placed somewhere as simple as a Google Sheet or as complex as a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system.

I hope this helps.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009
Integromat became Make

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

You’re very welcome.

I forgot to add links to the post so I’ve added these now.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @paul2009 for chiming in here. I'm trying out Member Areas to both sell on demand courses and live courses. I think Member Areas can be an alternative to Eventbrite for us, BUT I'm disappointed there is not automation with Email Campaigns so we can bulk email all members for live course (less necessary for on demand courses). I really hope squarespace is working on this. We're also going to run out of the limits for 10 member areas and 50 hours of video limit so I guess we'll supplement with unlisted youtube or vimeo. I hope we're not making the wrong choice instead of doing something like Kajabi. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

I’m in the same boat. I sell Downloadable products (guitar effects presets) and I offer lifetime updates to these products. So, when I update the file, I’d like to be able to bulk email all the people who purchased a particular product to alert them to re-download their purchase to access the updated files. Any way to do this easily?

thetoneshepherd.com/store