Our analytics have been broken for months.

Hi All, 
Feeling a bit frustrated, and I'm wondering if anybody else is having a similar experience. 
We contacted Squarespace on August 31 to tell them that our analytics were not working correctly. Suddenly, we only saw traffic from several cities, which we knew was wrong because we also have Google Analytics. I reached out, and they gave us this canned response: 

With regards to the unusual traffic you are seeing within the Analytics panel on your site, it is something we are aware of. We can confirm that while the IP addresses in question are not malicious, we are keeping track of this issue to find out more. This traffic does not mean that your site security has been compromised in any way, as all visitors can only see the site content you have chosen to make public.

This made me feel like they didn't understand the issue. If it was showing bot traffic + regular traffic, that is one thing - but all traffic is showing up as if it's coming through popular bot hubs. However, the page view difference between Google and Squarespace is within what I would consider to be a normal range. So are the pages being counted correctly, but just the location is wrong? I have no idea. 
Because I have Google, I dropped it, hoping it would resolve itself. 

On Monday, I reached out about a different issue and followed up about the Analytics issue.

We traded a few messages, and I sent the additional information they requested, screenshots from Google Analytics showing that we have traffic from every state and from multiple cities; Squarespace only shows the 48,000 page views from the last 30 days coming from 2 cities. 

Today, Thursday, I received the exact same response: 

First off, with regards to the unusual traffic you are seeing within the Analytics panel on your site, it is something we are aware of. We can confirm that while the IP addresses in question are not malicious, we are keeping track of this issue to find out more. This traffic does not mean that your site security has been compromised in any way, as all visitors can only see the site content you have chosen to make public.

Thanks again for reporting this, and if you notice any other unusual activity or have any follow up questions, we'd be happy to take a look.

Any thoughts on what is going on here? They said they were elevating my other issue, but I got the impression that they considered our Analytics problem to be solved for now. 

The only thing I can think of is that we started with our ad network, Ezoic, in August. However, I don't know if that would explain why Google is showing completely different analytics than Squarespace. 

Any feedback or thoughts you may have are welcome!

I'm also curious if anybody else has noticed a decline in the response time for Squarespace help/their helpfulness - or if I'm just feeling exceptionally grumpy today because of our combined issues? (I made another post about our forms being broken)

I've managed Squarespace sites for various accounts for over 3+ years, and I don't think I've ever run into anything like this before. 

• Replies 1
  • Views 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, TobyRBJ said:

I'm wondering if anybody else is having a similar experience. Suddenly, we only saw traffic from several cities

This probably isn't any help, but I'm not seeing any issues with the built-in Analytics. I see traffic from all cities/states in the US and locations worldwide.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.