Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search

What are your best practices for mobile styling?

Have you ever heard of the term “mobile-first design”? It’s a common concept among web designers who want to stay ahead of the curve on the technologies that we use every day to view sites on the Internet. The philosophy contained within mobile-first design is called “progressive advancement,” which dictates that you should design your web presence with smaller screens in mind first, which in turn makes it easier for you to progressively move on to larger screens.  

According to data shared by the AdobeXD Ideas blog, two billion people currently access the internet on their mobile devices, and that number is expected to jump 72.5% in the next three years. That’s a lot of people to think about! In essence, thinking about mobile-first design forces you to strategize and prioritize your content so that it is leaner and more to the point, to use headings strategically in order to create a visual hierarchy, reduce the number of links in your navigation to fit a smaller screen, use fonts that prioritize readability, and to use white spaces to your advantage for a cleaner layout. 

What are your best practices for designing more mobile friendly sites? Share your ideas below!

This is an interesting subject choice because it isn't possible to practice Mobile First Design on Squarespace yet - at least not without a lot of code or a no-code pay-monthly add-on. The Squarespace platform doesn't allow you enough control over mobile layouts at present as it decides the mobile layout for itself.

I'm really looking forward to the day when the editor is updated so that we can build mobile sites more easily on the platform. Something to look forward to in 2022. 🤞

Improve your online store with our extensions.
About: Sqsp Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, appreciation and great design ♥.
Work: Squarespace Expert and founder of SF Digital, dedicated to improving websites by building the features Squarespace didn't include™.
Content: Links in my posts may refer to SF Digital products or may be affiliate links.