Navigation not changing after members login.

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

• 2 weeks later...

For the navigation - it is a sidebar that pops out to show members status when they click on account. I had to use html and embed a navigation element on the top of every member page in order for them not to have to use the side navigation. Hope this helps

image.thumb.png.c25aa77fc219302367225c9ed98656be.png

• Solution
On 11/16/2021 at 8:00 PM, Lokesh- said:

I am trying to set up a members area. The login is working fine, but the navigation doesn't change after a user logs in.

The member navigation options you see will depend on your site’s version (7.0 or 7.1).

SQUARESPACE 7.1
If it is a Squarespace 7.1 site, the default option is for the Member Area navigation to replace the Main Navigation.

When logged in, members see the member navigation at the top of your site, replacing the main navigation of your public pages. The member navigation includes all member areas they have access to, and reveals all pages in each member area on hover. You can include links to areas of your site that are not in the Member Area.

The main navigation links reappear after a member logs out of their customer account.

SQUARESPACE 7.0
On Squarespace 7.0 sies, the Member Area pages can be accessed through the Account link that opens their Customer Account panel. The main navigation is unchanged.

Edited by paul2009
edited for clarity

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 weeks later...

Paul, I am on 7.1. The members area is setup. I tested it creating a dummy account, logged in and the nav changes as it should.

However here's the issue, I have 30 people who have created member accounts. 28 of these people once logged in continue too see the public facing navigation  menu and NOT the members area navigation.

2 people have 'accepted marketing' and it's those 2 people who can access the members navigation. Not sure if this is linked to why it's not working or not.

Any idea on what might happening?

Thanks

14 minutes ago, ssrg77 said:

I have 30 people who have created member accounts. 28 of these people once logged in continue to see the public facing navigation menu and NOT the members area navigation.

As this isn't something that a forum user can test, I recommend that you contact Squarespace directly and ask for their assistance. I'll be interested to know what the issue is.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Hi Paul, Circling back on this issue with the members area.

So it appears that the 'Customer Account sign up/login' is completely disconnected from the 'Members area sign up/login.

For someone to sign up/login to the members only content area (which changes the navigation) you must Edit the site header > Elements > Enable button > Give it a name (e.g Members login) > Set page /...

Once the button is created users can sign up/login from the public facing top navigation accessing the  Members content. This works well..... until however a member decides they want to logout. At this stage there is no option to create a sign out button since the button create option is global and this results in members being  permanently logged into the members area.

The only workaround to this is for members  sign up for a separate Customer Account so I have to enable Account login from the Elements block. Not a good experience.

Once they have sign up for a customer account they can logout from the Members area by clicking Account and Sign Out. The problem though is that on the public facing home page you have a redundant Customer Account 'Login' button that you cannot hide and so members see two buttons, one for the customer account and one for members login which is hugely frustrating as there appears to be no way to change this.

Not sure what to do at this stage. My members login is a free access so the customer account option are irrelevant to my members. We're a small charity, with an older membership whom aren't that tech savvy and so this process is confusing and needs to be simple or at least customizable by me who is managing the site content. 

Right now I have 30+ members with customer account and no access to the members area. 

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

• 2 months later...
On 12/21/2021 at 6:58 AM, ssrg77 said:

Hi Paul, Circling back on this issue with the members area.

So it appears that the 'Customer Account sign up/login' is completely disconnected from the 'Members area sign up/login.

For someone to sign up/login to the members only content area (which changes the navigation) you must Edit the site header > Elements > Enable button > Give it a name (e.g Members login) > Set page /...

Once the button is created users can sign up/login from the public facing top navigation accessing the  Members content. This works well..... until however a member decides they want to logout. At this stage there is no option to create a sign out button since the button create option is global and this results in members being  permanently logged into the members area.

The only workaround to this is for members  sign up for a separate Customer Account so I have to enable Account login from the Elements block. Not a good experience.

Once they have sign up for a customer account they can logout from the Members area by clicking Account and Sign Out. The problem though is that on the public facing home page you have a redundant Customer Account 'Login' button that you cannot hide and so members see two buttons, one for the customer account and one for members login which is hugely frustrating as there appears to be no way to change this.

Not sure what to do at this stage. My members login is a free access so the customer account option are irrelevant to my members. We're a small charity, with an older membership whom aren't that tech savvy and so this process is confusing and needs to be simple or at least customizable by me who is managing the site content. 

Right now I have 30+ members with customer account and no access to the members area. 

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Hey did you ever find out more information in this? I'm finding it impossible to get any information that delineates the differences between different Profile's such as subscribers and members and customer accounts as such I'm having the same problem. I need to sort this out immediately, but because squarespace keeps recycling terms across all of these features there's no way to know if i've got the right information.