Customising emails received from form submissions

Hello everyone.

So I have a standard form. It starts off as a button. People fill in their information. And my client receives an email regarding the inquiry. The problem I'm having is that the notification emails are very bare. It looks likes this:

Sent via form submission from Selling the Cariboo's Most Inspiring Homes

Name: John Doe

Email: john@pretendemail.com

Subject: Hello

I would love my client to receive more information about the inquiry. I've added placeholders and descriptions to the form but they don't filter through to the emails the client receives. Anyone has any ideas on how this can be accomplished? I also need to be able to change this for every form I create instead of one site wide setting.

Thank you for any help in advance.

JD

Screenshot 2021-11-11 at 9.43.36 AM.png

Edited by jdeeiz
  • jdeeiz changed the title to Customising emails received from form submissions
14 hours ago, jdeeiz said:

I would love my client to receive more information about the inquiry. I've added placeholders and descriptions to the form but they don't filter through to the emails the client receives.

To give us some context, please provide a link to the site and explain what additional information you want to include.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Hey  @paul2009

Here's the website: https://www.hellodreamliving.com/buy/4-and-5-park-place. It's the form at the bottom of the page (work with Sallee button).

Currently the website owner receives an email like this.  

Message: I am interested in this house.  How much is it selling for? Can someone give me a call on 123 5678 90?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - 

I would like the email to have more detail by including the "message description." (see attachment)

For Example:

Message: Send me more information about  LOTS 4-5 PARK PLACE. (This is the description)

I am interested in this house.  How much is it selling for? Can someone give me a call on 123 5678 90? (This is the message typed by the inquirer)

Just  to note: The information will change from from to form. But in this case it is:  "Send me more information about  LOTS 4-5 PARK PLACE." 

Hope any of this makes sense.

JD

Screenshot 2021-11-12 at 4.25.53 AM.jpg

Hey JD

Thanks for the additional information.

From what I can see, you're using blog posts for each property and then manually adding a form block to each post. You could therefore edit each form to add a Hidden field for this purpose, but if I'm being honest, there are easier ways to set this up that will be far less burdensome for the client to administer.

As things stand, if the client changes their email address, they'll need to manually edit each form within each post on the site 😬. An easier method is to add one form to the site and then use code to pass the property's title into the form whenever it is used. I've built a 'plugin' that does this on Store pages, called the Product Enquiry Form extension, but I imagine you could use this on your Blog pages too. DM me if you need more details.

Paul

Edited by paul2009
typo

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.