Sales Tax - New shop here!!

Hello, 

I am just starting out making an online shop in my square space website (Business Plan).
The sales tax part, 
  - Is there a way other than having to manually enter in sales tax rates for every zip code in North Carolina, US? 
  - If I upgrade to a square-space - Commerce Plan, will it automate the process and calculate sales tax in real time?
  - Is TaxJar the only other extension that can do this? Do I still need a TaxJar if I get a Commerce Plan? 

Is anyone else in the same boat or past this phase? Any other suggestions? Thank you! 

Edited by sJohn
  • 2 months later...
  • Replies 2
  • Views 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the same boat and came here hoping to find definitive answers. I've had a couple of sales where sales tax seemed to calculate just fine and then another one that didn't add sales tax at all. I have TaxJar connected. The product was not exempt and the billing address was within my own state so I know we collect sales tax. I cannot figure out why it didn't collect sales tax and I'm not going to go back and ask my customer to pay more now but I can't continue to lose money on sales because I'm having to cover the taxes. Hopefully someone will have the answer soon.

-Jessica

We previously had built a website with squarespace, loved the design and were ready to go live when we figured out that there is NO WAY to calculate sales tax automatically unless you input all zip codes from every city/state you plan to sell in. We contacted Squarespace and were told they offer no automation of this process nor partner with any services that can offer the automation. We were forced to choose another provider for our webhosting. We chose Wix. It is not as fancy, by any means, but it does automatically calculate taxes for you.