Focal Point Snap-To-Center

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Yeah, it still snaps, unfortunately.  As long as you're within about 15% distance of the radius of the center point, it jumps it right into the middle. It's really frustrating and I've been looking for some sort of code or workaround for years (or even a hidden setting to turn this off).  I find it just so unnecessary.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2022 at 11:11 PM, SHendler said:

Happy Lunar New Year @tuanphan !

So, in each of my project pages (https://stephenhendler.com/home/knicks-newyorkforever for example). The focal point snapping to center is the very first image - the background image. This is where it's happening for me - across all of my projects.

Try adding to Design > Custom CSS

.section-background img[srcset] {
    object-position: unset !important;
}

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

14 hours ago, SHendler said:

Hi @tuanphan I inserted your code, but unfortunately that did not work and the focal point still snaps to center. Take a look at the video I uploaded for reference, and you can see it snaps to center when you get close to it. Any other recommendations?

IMG_2329.mov 20.52 MB · 0 downloads

The video doesn't exist. Can you check it again?

Or send to forum message

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 12/4/2022 at 6:09 AM, juliaprather said:

Aaargh I have this same issue and have had it for YEARS. I found my way to this thread right now because I am currently in search of some way to disable or override the annoying snap-to-center "feature." I really need to move the focal point just the tiniest bit. Has anyone figured this out?

Can you share link to page where you have problem? We can take a look

Or send to forum message

On 12/9/2022 at 8:39 AM, tuanphan said:

Can you share link to page where you have problem? We can take a look

Thanks so much for following up on this! The site is www.j2tampa.com. 

When you move away from the center of the image, you can make fine movements with the focal point. You can move it just a tiny bit up or down or sideways or diagonally. However, when you get near the center of the image, the snap-to-center feature takes over and you're no longer able to make fine movements with the focal point.

The attached video shows my attempt to place the focal point right where I want it, and how the snap-to-center feature kicks in and jerks the focal point to the center, where I don't want it to be.

This only happens when you get close to the center of the image. If you move away from the center of the image, you can successfully make slight moves. It would be so helpful to be able to disable to the snap-to-center feature, if there is a way to do that.

Thanks again!

• Solution
On 11/4/2021 at 10:23 PM, whereisscott said:

Does anyone know how to disable the image focal point's snap-to-center?  I want to just move the focal point over the smallest amount from center, and it won't let me since it automatically snaps to the middle if you're within a certain distance from it.  

41 minutes ago, juliaprather said:

when you get near the center of the image, the snap-to-center feature takes over and you're no longer able to make fine movements with the focal point.

This is due to a deliberate design choice by Squarespace in mid 2021 and is not a bug.

The focal point behaviour was intentionally changed ("to make it easier to centre"!) and this now prevents us moving it just a small distance from the centre.

There isn't anything you can do to change this behaviour. The only workaround is to use the image editor to crop part of the image so the focal point is where you need it - which is ironic because the focal point exists to avoid having to do this! 🤯

I encourage you to contact Squarespace Customer Care  to request that this feature be reinstated. Nothing will happen quickly (I already voiced my concerns in Sept 2021 and nothing has happened since) but at least it will help the product teams to understand the impact these poor design choices have on user experience.

Did this help to explain? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

12 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

This is due to a deliberate design choice by Squarespace in mid 2021 and is not a bug.

The focal point behaviour was intentionally changed ("to make it easier to centre"!) and this now prevents us moving it just a small distance from the centre.

There isn't anything you can do to change this behaviour. The only workaround is to use the image editor to crop part of the image so the focal point is where you need it - which is ironic because the focal point exists to avoid having to do this! 🤯

I encourage you to contact Squarespace Customer Care  to request that this feature be reinstated. Nothing will happen quickly (I already voiced my concerns in Sept 2021 and nothing has happened since) but at least it will help the product teams to understand the impact these poor design choices have on user experience.

Thanks, Paul. I appreciate your thoughtful reply, and I will pass along my concern to customer care in hopes of a future toggle switch to enable or disable the snap-to-center focal point feature. Thanks again!

11 hours ago, paul2009 said:

Just pled my case with customer care. Be gone, snap-to-center!

• 1 year later...
On 12/10/2022 at 7:27 AM, paul2009 said:

I just sent in a support query re: new feature for this. I continue to be flabbergasted that there's no update on this, to disable snap focal point on image blocks. Time for SQSPC to get with the times! I am constantly hindered by this annoying feature. 😞  It's such thorn in my design flow, I'm actually building less on SQSPC platform these days because of this annoying problem. 

Edited by SunEyes
15 minutes ago, SunEyes said:

I just sent in a support query re: new feature for this. I continue to be flabbergasted that there's no update on this, to disable snap focal point on image blocks.

Indeed! As a Circle Member, please vote for this.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.