Custom configurable products - manufacturing

I create custom balloon decor. Customers choose from many options; it's not like the color of a shirt. For instance pick 2 colors from chart A, pick 1 color from chart B, chose a foil number, choose a pattern, choose a topper from the chart. Attached is an example.  - What's the best way to approach this? Isn't there something other than variants, like custom product options? 

D1141B01-A408-45A0-BF60-236C4EE5516B.jpeg

Edited by Guest
  • Replies 6
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Robbyn said:

Isn't there something other than variants, like custom product options? 

You can add a Custom Product Form, but it is only designed for same cost options. You cannot use it for additional cost options - these can only be selected using variants.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Does the custom product form overlay only when the product is added to the cart? Because that would mean a customer would have no idea how much they could customize until they've decided to purchase the item which is rather backwards. 

Agreed, but that’s how it currently works. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Does anyone know if any of “custom product form fields” allow for using images or is it only text? Select, checkboxes, radio button - can images be used in association?  

These are not variants but multiple color options the user chooses for the creation of the product; there is no price or inventory control necessary. I'm not about to account for individual balloons. 

Squarespace doesn't have a feature for this.

All form components are text based:

form-field-add.thumb.png.d0b45d769b814e56085fdc562868800a.png

It may be possible to add this capability by writing custom code, but it will probably be unique to your circumstances as it's not something that merchants usually ask for. 

Thanks for the response. I'm surprised to hear it's not requested more as many balloon decorators would use such a feature. Right now over on WordPress, those that we're able to automate a store, are using acroweb’s add-ons plugin. 

As you can see from one  product type, it's a lot easier to allow someone to pick different numbers (gold, silver, rose gold), foil prints, foil curve colors and balloon colors by choosing images vs text describing All these elements. 

I suppose it's good to hear code might do the trick. A plugin would be better. 

Thank You

45C46DC2-6BA3-4C45-A8EC-DF3E8C9D0EBE.jpeg