Making site changes/updates after launching/publishing website on 7.1

Go to solution Solved by creedon,

It depends on the kind of change you are making.

A simple change like correcting a spelling error you're just going to go in and fix the page live.

For a more involved restructuring of a page you will probably want to duplicate the page into the not linked area, make your changes, then swap it in for the live page when you're ready to make the new page live. The trick there is to manipulate the URL slugs to that the new page takes on the slug of the old page.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Thank you for your help @creedon.  I was hoping something like this was the answer. 

If I end up duplicating and swapping out pages, can you comment on how to change url slugs?  I know there is a danger of leaving dead-end urls out on the web which result in 404 errors.  I would like to avoid that when I make a change.

Also, I have a "In The News" page that is a running list of new news items, built as  image blocks with news outlet logos which are hyperlinked to the external news story.  If I want to add a new one, should I do that live or use the "duplicate and swap the page" process?

Thanks again for your help.

• Solution

If I end up duplicating and swapping out pages, can you comment on how to change url slugs?

For example you'd have two pages. First would be the original page like /mypage. Second would be the duplicated/updated/new page /mypage-new. When you're ready to swap you'd change the URL of the original page from /mypage to /mypage-old. Then you'd change the new page from /mypage-new to /mypage. You'd also need to swap the pages around in the Main Navigation and Not Linked areas of Pages, if needed. I like to hold onto the old page for a bit and then when I'm sure the new page is good, delete the old page. You can also store old pages if they might contain information you might want to retrieve later.

If I want to add a new one, should I do that live or use the "duplicate and swap the page" process?

I don't think it's a matter of should. It's really a matter of how you want to work. For this kind of change I'd probably just do it in the live page. Although live page isn't exactly right because when you are editing the changes don't go out live until the page is saved.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

But how do you test changes to the global headers/footers without breaking the live site ? I used to work with Yahoo hosting where you would develop on a private copy, then publish again the whole site when it is ready. Can't do that with Squarespace ?

4 hours ago, ChrisBP said:

Can't do that with Squarespace ?

Squarespace does not use a staging/production server model.

The closest you could get with Squarespace would be to duplicate the site and work on the duplicate, then manually transfer the changes back to the original.

If you can't dupe the site then you could create a trial site and work on the new header there.