Tips for getting started with Google Ads

There are many ways to advertise your business online. Whether it be through Facebook Marketplace, Instagram Shopping, or paid search, there are no shortage of ways to get your name out there. One of the biggest tools online marketers use to great results is Google Ads. With an average of 3.5 billion searches per day, Google Ads offers a way to get your product in front of many sets of eyes. Because it is such a robust platform with so many different settings, options, budget trackers and rules, starting out can be intimidating. According to Hootsuite and Semrush, you should consider doing these things before starting:

• Define your goals and target audience for the ad
  • Optimize the landing page where the ad will link to
  • Think about catchy headlines (but no clickbait!)
  • Make sure to use a negative keywords list
  • Test multiple ad copies

Do you have any tips for using Google Ads effectively? Any tricks on how to get the most out of Google Ads? Tell us in the comments below! 

• 3 weeks later...

CAC (customer acquisition cost) is a metric that I use for my ads, and it helps me calculating how much I can spend on ads, for every new customer.

Let's say the average revenue from each customer is $100, your CAC should ideally be $30-40. This means you can spend $30-40 in ads for every new customer.

In Google Ads you can easily track this with their conversions-feature, and see how many new subscriptions and purchases you get from your ads. 

- Rasmus Myhrberg, Founder of Spark Plugin

Spark Plugin – The Ultimate Design Toolkit for Squarespace

@Jo_SQSP greetings

setup tracking first - before you run any kind of campaign or marketing activity make sure that you have every commercially interesting touch point on your website setup for tracking. This means email addresses, telephone numbers, dedicated form submit URLS that you can capture as form-sends, you can also setup your most important pages as Intent triggers. This means for example if you have a page that contains your contact address you can trigger that page as a goal.

To put this into context
If you run a Google Ads campaigns without tracking you will know that people arrived at your website. This makes it impossible for your to distinguish between browsers and people that are interested in your product/service. If you deliver a visitor to the website and they go through your website and also spend time on your contact page, you can determine that they may have a high interest in your business. You can then create AUDIENCES using Google Analytics either against Google Events or against Goals which then allows you to create remarketing campaigns. What's more if you have some logic to what you are capturing you can segment your audiences.

For example:

I know that everyone in Audience X has shown an interest in my company so I will setup and run a Google Ad with an offer, or with a link to a piece of content on my blog that is going to provide these people with a greater understanding that I am a real person and my company can be trusted.

🙂

We provide digital marketing services for businesses that need exposure/sales from search and social media networks. We also build incredibly fast and well optimised multi-language Square Space websites.
Digital Marketing | Marketing Digitale

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great question! One thing I think is important to consider is that your google ads campaigns don't exist in isolation - your website and marketing strategy also play a big role. 

When you are creating ad campaigns you want to make sure you have tracking set up so you can measure your results and iterate as you go. 

When it comes to setting up your ad campaigns, I think it can be tempting for people to send traffic to a homepage. Rather than sending people to a page where they need to dig through a bunch information (like a homepage) , consider the goal of your ad campaign, and send people to an individual landing page. 

For example, if you are a bakery, you might not want to send people to a homepage that showcases your coffee, and muffins and office catering options if someone is specifically searching for "birthday cakes." Instead, you may find more success sending them to a page specifically about your birthday cake offerings. 

This is even more important when you consider a mobile experience. People looking to efficiently order a birthday cake may land on your homepage, find themselves confused or even frustrated, and not even get to the part where you showcase your birthday cake offerings). You don't want to pay for clicks to have someone leave right away.

Landing pages should have a narrow focus, and the copy used on your landing page should mirror your ad copy in your campaigns (this can help with quality score). 

A good landing page has the following components: 

1. Your unique value proposition
  2. Features & benefits
  3. Testimonials & social proof
  4. A hero image that draws people in
  5. Call to action (CTA - what do you want people to do?)
  6. Lead capture form (what information do you want to collect)

Here is a more detailed post on creating landing pages for paid ads.

Hope this helps :)