Adding physical product option w/different price without increasing inventory

Site URL: https://www.melissadinino.com/originals/quick-release

Hey everyone, I have a question for y'all. 

Has anyone figured out a way to add an option to a product (not necessarily a variant) that displays a different price for that product without increasing the inventory? My example, to clarify, is with artwork. I want to give people the option to add framing to a specific painting or buy it without. So say I have a small painting that is $500. I want to have on the page - almost like a variant - the option to buy that painting with or without framing - the option with framing being more expensive (say $600). If I do it through variants, it forces me to say there's one unit available of each. In this scenario, I would have to hope two people don't go to buy the different options at the same time, which is very possible, and if they didn't I would need to watch my store like a hawk to quickly remove the other variant before it also sells. I've thought of doing a separate "add framing" product that people can add to their carts as well, however, framing costs can vary a lot and it would get really complicated if even possible. Any ideas on how to neatly contain this under a single product? I have an example of this with variants at the link above.

I appreciate any and all thoughts! 

Edited by melissa_dinino
  • Replies 1
  • Views 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is currently only possible with a separate ‘add framing’ product or by using a Squarespace extension called Trunk Inventory. The additional product may be possible to code if you have fixed sizes and frame costs. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.