Trying to replicate a site setup I came across, getting stuck.

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: http://www.observationkit.com

Sorry it's a little long, trying to give info. 

I am trying to replicate the site setup I found here: observationkit.com – I want to have a grid of items, where you can click each and open a lightbox with an image and text (that can scroll and doesn't cut off). The hover effect that shows titles would be nice, but is less essential. I'm decently familiar with web design but less familiar with Squarespace, and I cannot figure out how they got it to work. 

Observation Kit uses the Universal Filter plugin, which is where I came across it – OK's one of their example sites. I've gotten the filter part working fine. 

What has gotten me the closest to what I want on the pop-ups is using Summary Blocks linked to Store items – this gets everything nearly correct, EXCEPT that there is a character limit to the product excerpt in the pop-up... and so I can't get the full copy to display, unlike how the pop-ups on Observation Kit have extra long copy that scrolls.

For my other options, Summary Blocks with Blogs have no pop-up built into them, and Summary Blocks with Event Pages I haven't tried (but it doesn't make sense that they'd work). I've also done some forum searching, and it looks like people have said in the past that the product excerpts on the Store pop-ups can't be made longer – so I assume there must be some other way to go about it.

I'm worried that the issue is I'm on 7.1I see that while on 7.0 Summary Blocks used to support Gallery and Project Pages, now they no longer do. So it's possible OK's site is using one of those to make it work... but I just don't know. 

Anyone have any clues how I can get the effect I want? I really appreciate the help. 

• Solution
6 hours ago, thisisnottravis said:

I am trying to replicate the site setup I found here. I'm worried that the issue is I'm on 7.1

It's true that the site you are referring to is a Squarespace 7.0 Developer Mode site, which means it is infinitely more customisable than Squarespace 7.1. However, for the lightbox effect, take a look at the Lightbox Anything plugin from SqspThemes.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.