Remove dash in front of blockquote source

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Please post the URL for a page on your site where we can see your issue.

If your site is not public please set up a site-wide password, if you've not already done so.

Post the password here.

Adding a site-wide password is not a security breach. Please read the documentation at the link provided to understand how it works.

Please read the documentation at the link provided on how to share a link to your site to understand how it works. A link to the backend of the your site won’t work for us, i.e. a url that contains /config/.

We can then take a look at your issue.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

This is an interesting one. The dash is being added by SS as actual text in the HTML. ☹️

839421499_ScreenShot2021-10-14at3_38_28PM.png.ff0657a4c5f5ae314802db49d3fd91d4.png

1898711027_ScreenShot2021-10-14at3_39_42PM.png.88f154d82e48cfad940b643754eed957.png

Because SS added the dash in the actual HTML it makes using CSS alone to remove the dash fairly inefficient. You'd end up basically reentering the quote source again in the CSS.

If I were to approach this problem I'd probably use Javascript to remove the dash from quote blocks and then if wanted, use CSS to add a dash.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Please see Block Quote Source CSS Em Dash.

Basically this changes the way SS handles adding the em dash to the source.

Edited by creedon

• Solution
12 hours ago, khs123 said:

How do I remove the dash in front of the blockquote source?

You should be able to hide it easily by setting the colour of the em dash character as transparent using some Custom CSS: 

.sqs-block-quote .source::first-letter {
 color: transparent;
}

If this post has helped you, please click a 'Like' or 'Thanks' icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Thanks @creedon and @paul2009

The website is only on a basic plan, so can't use the javascript option unfortunately.

The transparent option is a good idea, but it doesn't seem to be working.  I can make the entire source transparent using:

.quote-block .source {
 color: transparent !important;
}

However, I've tried both

.sqs-block-quote .source::first-letter {
}

and

.quote-block .source::first-letter {
}

but neither of them are picking up the dash. I've also tried using "first-child" instead of "first-letter", but that also didn't work.

Any other ideas?

20 minutes ago, khs123 said:

it doesn't seem to be working

I've tested this on another site without issue, on Safari and Chrome, without additional selectors/importance.

If you'd like help troubleshooting, we will need you to add the CSS and provide a link to the page where you've added the quote. It would also be helpful to know which browser/version you are using.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Can I Use says that recent versions of FF supports first-letter. However it appears what FF considers a first letter is not like other browsers. FF indeed will apply first-letter to A-Z a-z 0-9. It is spotty on working with non letter/number characters. It's kind of strange which ones they decided to include as letters and which ones not. Of course as we've seen they didn't think em dash was a first-letter.

Agreed. There's evidence that Firefox is buggy when dealing with certain types of dashes.