Images gone on site on one computer but there on another

Site URL: http://www.myorei.ca

This is very strange as problem varies with computer and OS.

On Macbook Air OSX 10.11.6, Chrome 94.0.4606, Safari 11.1.2 and Imac OSX 10.10, Chrome 87.0, Safari 10.1.2, Squarespace v7.0: A week ago all was working fine. No updates that I'm aware of. Now images are missing on Squarespace. There's just a placeholder with image file name but no image. If I try Edit image there's just a popup window with rotating black square. Videos are

On both MACs Chrome and Safari show the actual site with image placeholders. Just Chrome shows a red https. This is because, I think, the root certificate expired on 30 Sept. Safari has error saying 'not secure connection'. Because of the expired date I'm wondering if this is the cause of the missing images.

Is the root certificate from Squarespace or the third party holder of the name myorei.ca? At present a third party has the name registration and the site is hosted on Squarespace.

BUT ... on friends MACs and my own Windows computer, images show in both Squarespace and actual site. With the Windows computer I had cleared the cache. So is it really an expired certificate if? Or something else?

I'm really lost and confused on all this. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

See:

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

11 hours ago, paul2009 said:

See:

Thanks Paul.

The old Macbook with the expired certificate also does not show images (text and videos OK). This is after I access the site by clicking through Chrome's error message to visit unsafe site. Are the missing images (just a placeholder is shown) also due to old computer with expired certificate?

17 minutes ago, eshingodfrey said:

The old Macbook with the expired certificate also does not show images. Are the missing images (just a placeholder is shown) also due to old computer with expired certificate?

I can't be sure as I don't have access to your computer, but I imagine this is the case. I don't see any obvious missing images.

1999074954_Screenshot2021-10-04at20_02_05.thumb.png.182053db25241129e98c9ccae44bdc02.png

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Hi Paul. 

Just spend a long time on Squarespace chat. It took me a long time to find chat as they do everything to get you to access other info. Apparently there's currently a few problems with their SSL provider and users with old OS's. In these few cases the root certificate is not getting updated. The chat guy - who was very effective - says Squarespace is investigating this ASAP.

Looks like the problem could be with Squarespace's SSL provider. SS is getting more info from me as they investigate.

17 hours ago, eshingodfrey said:

Looks like the problem could be with Squarespace's SSL provider. SS is getting more info from me as they investigate.

Squarespace's provider is Let's Encrypt. As I explained in my earlier post, this is not a fault. It's the planned expiry of an old security certificate that was issued in 2000 and expired on 30 September 2021.

For most users, no action should be necessary. The newer X1 certificate will automatically be used from now on. However, some devices are simply too old to trust the newer certificate and will have issues display content and/or will show so are showing certificate warnings. 

Edited by paul2009

The root certificate is embedded in your operating system (OS), so it will depend on whether your device is capable of being upgraded to a newer (new enough) version of the OS, or if the device has become obsolete.

Edited by paul2009

Also experiencing this issue with similar specs. Appreciate your explanation, Paul.

Is there any way to know which OS for Mac would be sufficient to satisfy the expired certificate? For instance, I use certain programs, which might not be compatible with the latest OS and am considering upgrading to an older (albeit newer than mine) version of iOS... 

On 10/5/2021 at 6:46 AM, paul2009 said:

The root certificate is embedded in your operating system (OS), so it will depend on whether your device is capable of being upgraded to a newer (new enough) version of the OS, or if the device has become obsolete.

1 hour ago, nostalgia said:

Is there any way to know which OS for Mac would be sufficient to satisfy the expired certificate?

That’s a little off-topic for the Squarespace forum 🙂. If you’d like to know specifics, I recommend chatting to Apple or using their forums. 

• 2 months later...

This was super helpful.  Glad I found it.  Did anyone figure out a way around security blocking content or which operating system they needed to update to? I have El Capitan 10.11.6. I noticed all the blacking starting around the time you  say the certificate ended. makes sense now!

1 hour ago, Jennyjojo said:

Did anyone figure out a way around security blocking content or which operating system they needed to update to?

It must be 10.12.2 (Sierra) or later.