My brand new website i just created one month age appears to have been hacked.

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: http://rocksrootsandrattlesnakes.com

shortly after i attempted to add a paypal commerce page, my website was apparently hacked. i tried to enter but it wouldn't allow me in saying it was unsafe and that it had been hacked. i have since deleted those pages, and emptied trash. Also when i bypassed the warning page by choosing advanced>go to site(unsafe), the website was missing many of the pics i had added.

Message read:

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information fromwww.rocksrootsandrattlesnakes.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more

NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

I have a 11 yr old iMac with minimal protection, and i can't upgrade OS because its so old. i am simply trying to set up commerce page on this website to sell my new book. Not sure what to do next...

• Solution

Firstly, let me reassure you that this message does not mean your site has been hacked. It simply means that your computer is unable to view this website securely. 

If you’re still running an old version of macOS (or a version of OS X) then you'll need to upgrade. If you cannot upgrade your operating system (OS) to a version newer than El Capitan (10.11) (for example, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina...) then you may need a new computer/device.

Why? Because a few days ago on 30 September 2021, something called a 'root certificate' (known as DST Root CA X3) expired. This 'root certificate' was used to confirm authenticity of thousands of websites, but it is no longer valid. Computers/devices must trust a newer root certificate, and to do this, they must be using an up-to-date browser on an up-to-date operating system. Users with the latest devices will be unaffected, but if you have an 11-year old iMac, then you'll need to upgrade. Depending on the model and year, you may be able to update your operating system. You can check this by clicking Software Update within System Preferences. If you cannot upgrade the OS, you may need consider buying a new device.

If you're on a new supported operating system (a version newer than El Capitan) then you may also want to check that you are using one of the latest browsers too.

You can do this by visiting https://updatemybrowser.org/. Here you can check which browser you are using, and whether it is up to date. In summary, if you're not using one of these major browser versions, then you are probably not up-to-date:

• Chrome 97
  • Safari 15.2
  • Edge 97
  • Firefox 96
  • Opera 82

If this post has helped you, please click an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009
Added URL. Updated version info.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

thank you for the detailed explanation. my website was an intro to my new book soon to be published, and i had planned to add a pay button very soon to begin accepting pre-orders. So what i think i hear you saying is that before i can do this, and because i have a 2012 iMac, i first need to buy a new one. No work around in the interim. Correct?

4 minutes ago, lithopath said:

It does appear chrome is up to date. Version 67.0.3396.87

Chrome 67.0 is over three years old. The up to date version is 94.0.4606.71.

It's difficult for me to diagnose the issue remotely, I'm simply providing an opinion based on the available information. If your MacOS is too old, it won't be possible to update to one of the newest versions of Chrome. As this isn't a Squarespace issue, I recommend reaching out to Apple Support. They're usually pretty helpful, even for older devices. For example, they'll tell you which version of the OS you can upgrade to.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Also, it's worth mentioning that these issues are only affecting your computer, not the website. Others are still able to view the website without issue 🙂

1584293905_Screenshot2021-10-02at14_50_40.thumb.png.7100c07717e2a75fcad8da674a8026ef.png

If you've updated to the latest MacOS available to you, and you're using the latest version of the browser allowed on that OS, then there's very little I can suggest on that device.

Perhaps you have another device you can use such as a tablet or mobile? Or you can use a shared resource?

• 1 month later...

Hi Paul,

I just wanted to come in on this as I am having the same issue with my Mac and all my images on my squarespace are broken and I cant upload new images, but it all works fine on my iphone...

Mine is a 2009 IMac, its updated to El Captain and says I'm running the Google Chrome 94. Is this still the same issue with the fact my system is too old, even though Im running an up to date Chrome?

Im so confused!

Thanks

1 hour ago, phoebe22 said:

I just wanted to come in on this as I am having the same issue with my Mac. Mine is a 2009 IMac, its updated to El Capitan

You need to upgrade your macOS to a version newer than El Capitan (10.11) if that is possible on your Mac.