Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search

Local Delivery Options

kellicox90

Question

I have a couple of clients with Australian based florists that I've built sites for, however they're finding the shipping restrictive as they offer local delivery only. It doesn't seem to matter how many disclaimers we put on their sites, the customers tend to ignore and put in invalid post code shipping options. (The current set ups are delivery radius and price as a flat rate they can select at shipping or the other is post code that they select, flat rates for each area.)

I'm looking into workarounds so that we don't have to switch platforms however I'm not having much luck.

So far the most promising option seems to be the Shopify buy now button, however I'm unsure of the shipping options with that button, so thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has integrated that button with luck, or found alternative solutions?

My clients would ultimately like to have restrictions within their Squarespace checkout to say "sorry, not available in your area" when they input a delivery address.

Any help appreciated!! Thank YOU!

2 answers to this question

11 hours ago, kellicox90 said:

I have a couple of clients with Australian based florists that I've built sites for, however they're finding the shipping restrictive as they offer local delivery only.

Hi Kelli

I hear you. This is one of the major limitations of Squarespace Commerce that makes it less suitable for these types of local delivery businesses. The bad news is that this feature isn't likely to be added to Squarespace any time soon. It's been on my list of commerce limitations for three years and I think it's likely to remain unresolved for a long time to come.

If you'd like to provide me with details of the sites, I'd love to take a look at them and see if anything can be done. In my experience, not all "local delivery" problems are the same. Each store will have their own specific challenges. Some clients only require a relatively simple way to filter out addresses by postcode, whereas others require delivery time slots or complex solutions that limit the number of orders per time-slot, with exceptions on certain days and so on. 

11 hours ago, kellicox90 said:

So far the most promising option seems to be the Shopify buy now button, however I'm unsure of the shipping options with that button

Regarding, Shopify, I'd argue that Buy Buttons have their place in the market, but they aren't a 'silver bullet'. They will allow you to dip your toe into the feature rich (and therefore steep learning curve of) Shopify but you'll need to move to the full Shopify platform to take advantage of local delivery features that you're looking for.

Edited by paul2009
edited for clarity

sf-digital-signature-logo-email145.png.46606a2288a2847f44d81b9b7b58f3a5.png
Hi! I'm Paul, an independent Squarespace Consultant since 2007 and founder of SF Digital, building the features that Squarespace didn't include. Our mini-extensions allow you to pick dates in any format, show prices in other currencies, take orders without payment or improve your cartI value honesty, integrity, transparency and respect . Links in my posts may refer to SF Digital products or may be affiliate links.

19 hours ago, paul2009 said:

Hi Kelli

I hear you. This is one of the major limitations of Squarespace Commerce that makes it less suitable for these types of local delivery businesses. The bad news is that this feature isn't likely to be added to Squarespace any time soon. It's been on my list of commerce limitations for three years and I think it's likely to remain unresolved for a long time to come.

If you'd like to provide me with details of the sites, I'd love to take a look at them and see if anything can be done. In my experience, not all "local delivery" problems are the same. Each store will have their own specific challenges. Some clients only require a relatively simple way to filter out addresses by postcode, whereas others require delivery time slots or complex solutions that limit the number of orders per time-slot, with exceptions on certain days and so on. 

Regarding, Shopify, I'd argue that Buy Buttons have their place in the market, but they aren't a 'silver bullet'. They will allow you to dip your toe into the feature rich (and therefore steep learning curve of) Shopify but you'll need to move to the full Shopify platform to take advantage of local delivery features that you're looking for.

Thanks for your reply Paul. Yep super frustrating that the Aus. shipping is so limited with Squarespace. The site that's particularly having issues is www.pennyblossomflorist.com. I've seen the workaround of each shipping area being a product variation, which might work... but I feel it could be clunky. It also looks like SF digital are developing an extension for SS users to combat this issue but there's no indication of a release date. I've also seen the postcode check widget, but I don't think it actually restricts anyone, I think it's just an indicative tool. Any further suggestions would be very appreciated. 

Do you know if the postcode restrictions are available with the Shopify option? I've worked with Shopify but only on full projects so I'm not sure of the capabilities of the button.

Thanks so much again!