Why is shipping not being added to orders in my store? (newbie struggles!)

Hi, I hope somebody might be able to help me. I'm new to Squarespace and recently launched my first online store. I watched all the videos and read the articles, and thought I'd got everything sorted out just fine..I added a flat rate shipping option, with a nominal fee for each additional item and hit save - it now shows up when I click Shipping in the side navigation bar.

However it doesn't appear to be showing up when people place an order and shipping is not being added to their total price. Instead, it seems to be giving free shipping - albeit without actually saying so - which means I'm accidentally losing money! I thought this was supposed to be an automated process? I can't find any way to make it happen manually.

I've had to close my shop for the time being... Can someone advise me? (Apologies if I'm just being a newbie!)

*Thank you*

Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 18.14.38.png

Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 18.15.25.png

• Replies 1
  • Views 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Lushka said:

I added a flat rate shipping option. However it doesn't appear to be showing up when people place an order. Instead, it seems to be giving free shipping - albeit without actually saying so.

Actually, it's not offering them shipping at all. 🙂

Looking at the sticker "product type", they have not been added "physical" products. Squarespace will therefore assume that these do not require shipping and it won't offer shipping to customers, or charge them for it.

When you add products, you have the choice of adding a physical, service and digital products and each of these have different options. If your products were 'physical products' your checkout 'Payment' section will normally be section 3 (not 2, as shown in your screenshot). This is because an additional '2. Order Options' section will appear to capture the delivery information from the customer. 

Once the goods are 'physical', the order charge will be added automatically. Now for the bad news - you cannot convert a product from one type to another. You'll need to add them again. 🥺

For future reference, it's easier for us to help if you include a working link to your site.

If this post has helped you, please click an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.