Choosing a domain name- Tips for a long-lasting decision

Choosing a domain name (the address/URL of your site) is a momentous occasion in your journey as a website owner. A domain is your brand’s first impression and coming up with a unique and memorable name is something that often requires some thought. Common best practices include:

• Use keywords (about what your business is or where you are located) so your audience can find you easily
  • Keep the name short and simple for easy typing and memorization
  • Keep pronunciation in mind to favor word-of mouth 
  • Register mistyped domains, so no matter what your audience types, they'll always be directed to your site.    

If you already have a business name, then you’ve got your starting point. Either way, a decision also needs to be made about what TLD/domain extension (part of a URL that follows the last period) to pick. While .com is the most familiar and easiest to remember, you could consider other common choices such as .net, .org, or even location (.uk, .ca, .au) or business/niche (.yoga, .community) based extensions as an alternative. 

No matter what, ideally your decision would be a long lasting one. While it’s always possible to change your domain later on, some caution is required to avoid hurting search rankings.  

How did you come up with your own domain name? What are your top tips on choosing the right one? Share in the comments below!

Hello!

I just signed up for the Squarespace forum, having been designing my site and receiving some guidance from an expert. 

I just made a mess of my URL/Domain setup. I know squarespace doesn't offer phone support which would be ideal. 

Is this forum a place where I can discuss my issue and seek help with a resolution from the community? 

@vicfirth1

The forum and we are here to try and help with issues. We are users like yourself and don't have any special access to SS. SS doesn't officially monitor this forum or provide support through it. For that you need to Contact Customer Support.

To ask a question of us I suggest starting a new thread. It is easier to handle one issue per thread.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.