Feedback on readibilitiy, navigability, and communication.

Site URL: https://www.homelessunlimited.com

Hi, everyone!  This is my first post to the forum.  Thanks for your time.

My site is geared towards casting some light on my homelessness for the purposes of fundraising, and some broader, long-term goals. 

I've got some ideas on how I would like to improve site readability, though I want a set of first impressions before I ask for help on implementing any changes.  For reasons linked to my homelessness (primarily time cost), the amount of content I've contributed to my blog has been a little sub-par.

The changes I've been thinking of are essentially navigation.  Tag-based filter, and date-based sorting.  These are pretty simple, I think, yet before I go ahead with any changes, I'd like your impressions. 

Primarily, what would make the site more easy to understand, and in what way I can most easily convey the complexity of my situation.

I am open to your recommendations, advice, and constructive criticism.  The site is a work in progress, so please keep that in mind as you browse.

I am happy to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks again for your time! 

Chris

Edited by ChrisLeach
wording, additional information
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks both of you!  I'm still looking for help and advice, so anyone reading along please feel free to add your point of view here.

ednaw:  I agree with your critique of the columnar layout.  I'll be changing it.  Layout has been a bit of a challenge overall.  Both my own lack of expertise and my life circumstances pose a challenge.  Time cost is exceptionally high for the homeless.   Thanks for your time, btw!

Mary:  thanks for your feedback.  There are a number of reasons I placed that image as I did.  Mainly, as a representation of how much homelessness colours the view 'normal' people have of us.  Admittedly, it's vague rather than subtle. 

Communicating about my homelessness while also asking for help has been a challenge.  My preference is to avoid seeking pity while illuminating the real problems we face and the clear need for the help of normal, housed people.  Thanks for your time!

11 hours ago, ednaw said:

You're welcome! I'm not an exceptional web designer by any means, just a small observation. Sometimes its okay to compromise aesthetic with functionality–never the other way around. Hope you continue to persevere; I'm not trying to patronize you, but I'm in awe with your drive despite the homelessness. 

I've made a change having recently had the opportunity to spend a couple of hours learning about anchor tags.  I set the titles out from left to right as links to articles below.  Added 'Back to Questions' links at the end of each article.  On mobile it's not quite as I'd like it, but for desktop it is a definite improvement, I believe.

As for my drive, all I can say is thank you, and I'll take the compliment!  I'd appreciate any other feedback you have.  Constructive criticism is always welcome.

My own immediate-term plans for the blog include adding to the section about my plans for the future.  They're fairly well-defined in my mind, and expressible in clear enough terms, but getting them into writing has been a challenge due to, well, everything, haha.

Thanks again!