Can links to external websites be damaging?

Hi there,

Quick question, I keep on getting asked by other businesses/ website owners to link to their site from my blog. I'm not talking affiliate links just links to other blogs/ services in related fields. Some people have even offered to pay.

I know that external links can be really positive for SEO, but does anyone know if a poor link can be damaging to SEO?  Luckily I'm ranking pretty well for my keywords on Google at the moment and don't want to do anything that could impact negatively.

Thanks!

• Replies 1
  • Views 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My simple advice here is to do what is best for users if your website — what is most likely to improve user experience and lead to higher quality content.

If someone reaches out with a genuine, good faith request to add a link because they recognize with will be beneficial for your website visitors, consider it! If it makes your webpage a more valuable resource, you may see an SEO gain.

Otherwise, I’d proceed more cautiously.

--

Blue Hills Digital
Support with website optimization and finding a digital marketing strategy that works.

Latest resource: Website Audit Checklist for 2021 [Template and 15-Step Guide]