Feedback for my site: Web design and art portfolio

Site URL: https://www.leafsilver.com/

Hello!

My name is Leaf, I'm an artist and designer working as a freelance website designer splitting time between Vermont and Chicago. I am interested in growing my client base and as a first step towards that, my website. I just attended Sophia Ojha's webinar on the Client on-boarding process, which was illuminating! I have a lot more to work on now :))

I just published an update to my personal website to include my freelance services as a way for clients to learn more, find my work and contact me. I'm still working on fleshing out client case studies for my portfolio but in the mean time would really appreciate any feedback or suggestions on my site's layout and information architecture from y'all. I'm very much still in the process of tweaking and It would be helpful to have some thoughts to guide my process going forward.

Thanks! 

Leaf_computer_mockup.png

couple bullets in the footer there could use some fixing. logo and font look real nice, not bubbly but just good... you know? also, i think the very bottom footer, has a slow fade-in on scroll.. maybe cut that in half. also, mine as well make it so the word "Leaf Silver" link back to your website too.

one more thing i just noticed, the contact page, when i click dropdown box, i get some gnarly scroll bars... maybe figure out how to use CSS scrollbar overlay to hide the bar?

spacer.png

i'm glad you are doing some cool stuff on the web. maybe add a "make payment" button or some logos with paypal that link to a place where you can get money.. should make it very very easy to make it so people can pay you.

man, those are some good colors. great palette!

Edited by Ser_Webmaster
forgot gif

Hi @Leaf - the site looks great! Love the design work and overall aesthetic.

I'm no design expert, but as it looks like a new(ish) business (or at least a new web presence), it might be worth thinking about SEO and incorporating some more of the keywords folks in your target audience might be searching for.

Claiming a Google My Business profile might help increase your chances of ranking when someone searches your business name (unfortunately there are lots of competing jewelry-related results for "leaf silver"). You could also build our the Marketing > SEO title and description further so that the preview in Google Search is a better description of your services.

Good luck! I'm also based in Vermont – LMK if you're open to collaborating on projects – I like to keep a list of local design-talented folks that I can refer that kind of project too when it's outside my skillset 🙂

--

Blue Hills Digital
Support with website optimization and finding a digital marketing strategy that works.

Recent resource: Website Audit Checklist for 2021 [Template and 15-Step Guide]

Nice website @Leaf! 🌟

Love the unique font, and how you used the ”leaf” to form three different icons. The colors are also superb.

The content and structure is straightforward.

I don’t have many improvements as I think the website is great. The only thing I would change is the font on the ”objects” page. Change to your main font, and your main color.

Good luck!

- Rasmus Myhrberg, Founder of Spark Plugin

Spark Plugin – The Ultimate Design Toolkit for Squarespace

• 1 month later...

Hi @Leaf

I see some problems from my end

#1.  Add this to Design > Custom CSS to fix it

/* 3. Connect text */
div#block-72c4275411e5360edde0 h3 {
    white-space: nowrap !important;
}

leafsilver.com-01-min-1-1024x409.png

#2. Same text on iPad (If you need to fix, just comment, we will give the code)

#3. Same for Footer links 

Use this CSS

/* Footer projects text link */
div#block-b2f7f6c2a1ec7ec3c397 * {
    white-space: nowrap;
}

leafsilver.com-03-min.png

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 4 months later...

It’s nice tohear that you’re developing and working on your skills all the time! That’s howpeople reach their goals! Talking about your website, I really liked it! I’m anaverage user, not a professional. Especially, I want to highlight the font. It’s simple,readable but still interesting. Right how it’s supposed to be. It’s veryconvenient to use and I found everything I needed in a few seconds. Talkingabout the colors, they are tarnished but still cute. You may try vistacreate color guide to check ifthe colors really match perfectly. Overall, I like the vibe of your page. 

Edited by AstrewqStevenos

Hiya, I've just had a quick look on your website and I absolutely love the colour way / font / animations. It's super easy to read and to navigate. 

I would maybe suggest on your 'Artwork' page, I kinda of got a bit lost on what page I was on and what I had just clicked, especially as it opens up a new tab and then when you close down the home page tab, you have to go looking for the URL again. Do you think it's worth mimicking the same 'above the fold' of the home page to the artwork page? 

For the artwork, I felt like you should have a  brief description of the process on how you created the work e.g. techniques used or inspiration, for example, the 'spoons' I love them but I want to know how you created them and why? It doesn't have to be massive, even just a couple of lines. 

Good luck!

Ellie

Cobbled Streets

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's clear you spent time selecting fonts, a color scheme, photo display and so on. If I were a customer seeking help with a rebrand, I'd be interested in  "before-and-after" information. I'm not suggesting a play by play for your examples. But you might consider the top one or two issues you solved by rebranding. For instance, was there a problem with the market focus? new products, or what? Then, perhaps a couple of sentences or phrases about your solution and the benefit to the customer of that solution.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hiya,

- I love the about page 
- services page - it can take a while to load up. what does it look like if you move case studies to the top and then the examples? 
- I feel like you need more buttons to drive them to the end goal, i'd say the about us is the ideal page
- I'm intrigued to see that your artwork URL is located in the footer