Automatically open default email client from button on 7.1

Go to solution Solved by iamdavehart,

Hi there, 

Is there a way to automatically open default email client with pre-populated content from a button on 7.1?

I'm guessing it may need J query injection, as it won't work by simply adding pre-populated content on email linked button unless there is an email address in the field. But if you want user to share they they'll need 'To:' blank so they can add in email recipient's address themselves. 

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Marc

Edited by MarcUK1603
  • MarcUK1603 changed the title to Automatically open default email client from button on 7.1
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Solution

the mailto link protocol accepts subject, cc, bcc and body parameters. in addition according to the mailto protocol specification you don't have to provide an address. it works without one, so you can just add a link in the button that has a link like this (%20 is an encoded space, you have "percent encode" your values. you can use an online encoder for that if you want).

mailto:?subject=Hello&body=Hello%20World!

if you do it via the link editor in squarespace it doesn't seem to like it without an email (as you've found out), so I'd just type it in manually. Does seem to cause some odd behaviour with the editor though, sqs probably require one so it breaks some of their validation. it does work though!

Dave Hart. Software/Technology Consultant living in London. buymeacoffee 

• 1 year later...

I've revisited this for another site that is on Fluid, and it no longer seems to work. Is there another workaround for auto-launching a users email browser with a blank mailto: and prefilled subject/body copy so that links to a site's page can be shared with family/friends...?

Thanks

Marc

• 5 months later...