How to use Custom Code

Site URL: http://rust-coconut-kf7x.squarespace.com

It's important to know I am new to Squarespace, am very frustrated with how unintuitive it is, and may not understand certain coding  terminology. Every little task on squarespace has seemed to take me much longer than it should. So please be kind and clear when responding. I appreciate your help!

Two things: I am trying to hide my navigation links from the header only on my landing page. I found code to use from another forum, however, when I entered it in the manner I thought was supposed to, it didn't seem to work (see screenshot). When entering custom code, am I to add <> tags? It looks to me like Squarespace injects it into the tagged code that already exists (see additional screenshot). Is there a way to just view the entire code for my site as it exists? If I had that, I could (and have with other website hostings) it would be easier for me to just "play around" with it until I get what I need. Their automated options are truly awful, and unintuitive.

Second, I would like to use custom font for my entire site. I found where I am to upload the fonts I would like to use, but how do I then use them? I'm guessing it has to do with adding custom code, as the fonts I uploaded do not appear in the fonts list after uploading. (this is where seeing the overall code would be helpful, I could contextually figure this stuff out). 223662656_ScreenShot2021-08-08at2_36_21PM.thumb.png.1d6b7c57ca52d99d8d2555b712ffedb6.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-08 at 2.58.04 PM.png

Edited by hilaryb
typo
36 minutes ago, myrandomviews said:

When code is placed in the advanced header of a page,  it needs this tag <style> at both ends. 

So, I just have to put a < at the beginning, and a > at the end of the code I'm injecting? Please be clear, I do not understand coding. For instance, what is the "advanced header"?

18 hours ago, derricksrandomviews said:

You need to put in exactly this:    <style>     all those characters, when you type the first one a second one will make itself  and you paste the code between them. Here is an example

<style>
  .view-item .meta {
    display: none;
}

</style>

Thank you for explaining. It did not remove the navigation links, but it did remove the line of code appearing at the top of the page.  Do I have the wrong coding for removing the navigations links?