Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search

What do you wish you'd known before launching your online store?

Launching an online store can be as easy as choosing your website provider, uploading cool images for your products, setting a price, and selling them or advertising them in a marketplace. However, planning your online store launch thoroughly can help you manage expectations for your business and achieve long term success. To start, some experts recommend: 

• Fully fleshing out your business idea, including researching your business name, target market, and their motivations for purchasing your products. 
  • Writing a comprehensive business plan that includes an exit strategy. 
  • Creating a budget and researching additional funding sources, like loans or business grants. 
  • Following government regulations and guidelines for registering your business as a legal entity. 
  • Building your team and creating your branding. 

Because businesses are varied and have different needs, there really isn’t a blueprint you can follow wholesale. Everyone’s timeline is different! Just check out what these startup founders told The Muse on how they fared when they started their businesses.

What do you wish you’d known before launching your online store? Tell us all about it in the comments below.

That squarespace does not have the possibility of integrating universal payment gateways ... so I would not have invested in developing a store on the platform.

That squarespace does not have the possibility of integrating universal payment gateways ... so I would not have invested in developing a store on the platform.

A tip for those just getting started.

Many folks focus on the design of their site first. It's natural. You want to make a pretty site to sell your product(s). Then they move onto the technical backside of payment processing and such.

I suggest flip that around! Exercise the technical backend bits first! Understand how the orders flow through the system. Run test orders where possible and real orders with an amount of a $1.00.

Get to know the flow from the customer perspective and the merchant perspective.

Once you have a better understanding of the backend proceed with developing the rest of your site.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as best , and see my profile. Thanks for your support!