What are the limitations of extensions?

In looking through the developer documentation, I noticed that Squarespace has an extension/plugin marketplace, but I can't find any information about the process of building an extension. Does anyone know what the process of building an extension is like?

Also, what are the limitations of extensions? Do they only apply JS/HTML/CSS to the frontend, or is there any ability to run server-side code?

If you're referring to the Squarespace Extensions here, they are not built on Squarespace as you cannot access the 'backend' of Squarespace. These are third party services running on other platforms that connect to Squarespace using the available APIs:

• Inventory API: Read and adjust stock information for product variants.
  • Orders API: Access order history for one-time purchases and subscription orders or import orders from third-party sales channels.
  • Products API: Manage physical products, including their variants and images.
  • Profiles API: Read and manage customers, mailing list subscribers, and donors that are traditionally accessible through the Profiles panel.
  • Transactions API: Access financial transactions for orders and donations.
  • Webhook Subscriptions API: Subscribe to notifications from a site, like when an order was created, by configuring a webhook endpoint.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Hello @JoeyS,

Thanks for posting your question!

If you're interested in building an extension, you can request OAuth credentials through this form:

https://partner.squarespace.com/oauth-form

When you receive the credentials, you can follow the documentation on how to use the Commerce APIs using OAuth 2.0:

https://developers.squarespace.com/oauth

What you see on our main page are official extension that have been handpicked by us. If you are interested in a collaboration, first build your extension and get some traction, and Squarespace will eventually reach out to you.

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Build together: Together, we make up a community of Squarespace professionals. Lean on your fellow community members for support and welcome diverse perspectives. 
Work in progress: Trust that we are all working for the collective good of Circle members and their clients. 
Keep it light mode: Balance productivity with joyful creativity and curiosity.

• 3 months later...

Creating an integration with Squarespace is a major business decision, one that would cost us hundreds of K's of $. We need a more formal channel of communication in order to decide to expand to this platform and not a competitive one. We need to get an idea of the potential traction, revenues and much more. 

No such channel exists. No person to talk to. 

It is within SquareSpace's interest to help us with this decision. The fact this is not the case is quite disheartening.

• 3 weeks later...