Can't reauthenticate Instagram connected account

Site URL: http://www.doodliostudio.com

Hello, 

I noticed my IG feed wasn't updating and I went to "Connected accounts" as usual to reset data and reauthenticate.

However when I try to re-authenticate, I get the pop-up window asking me to allow access to Instagram, I tap "Allow" and I get this message: 

{"error":"Could not find the requested ExternalAuthenticationRequest with name: IJGoowwbq3gOgVu5uNw3n4E3yWwlGfJkLShaLWo_","notFound":true}

Same happens if I try to connect a new account. 

I checked my permission on IG and Squarespace is allowed. I tried to do this in two different browsers and I get the same error.

Any idea what I'm missing here? Help and thank you!

Same thing is happening on the footer on my site. The most recent post displayed in the Instagram block is from 4 months ago... I just now caught the issue. 

If you log into your Square Space account and go to Settings/Connected Accounts, you should see the connected social media accounts you have already connected. Chances are they have expired. Click on the red notification that says "Unauthorized - Remove or reauthenticate this account for continued usage." Click on the site in question and it will allow you reuthenticate it.

Should look something like this:

Your Social Media Name Here
Pull Enabled
Unauthorized — Remove or reauthenticate this account for continued usage.

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2021 at 3:12 PM, nosremetnarg said:

Super annoying that the IG connection keeps breaking

Anyone gotten this err yet? 

{
"error_type": "OAuthException",
"code": 400,
"error_message": "Your account is connected to Facebook account, and your Facebook account's future off-Facebook activity is currently turned off."
}

This has to do with your personal account being connected to the Instagram. If you go to Instagram -> Settings -> FACEBOOK Account Center -> Click your personal page that's connected to the account -> Disconnect

Should work! 

21 hours ago, AniT said:

This has to do with your personal account being connected to the Instagram. If you go to Instagram -> Settings -> FACEBOOK Account Center -> Click your personal page that's connected to the account -> Disconnect

Should work! 

This breadcrumb trail doesn't work. This is super annoying and even more annoying that Squarespace doesn't have a tutorial or any help on this issue.

I'm also getting the message {"error_type": "OAuthException", "code": 400, "error_message": "Your account is connected to Facebook account, and your Facebook account's future off-Facebook activity is currently turned off."}  

Edit: Since I'm now getting the same message on Later.com, I'm suspecting this is a FB problem with some new fresh heck they're rolling out.

Edited by Maggiebird

I found the solution for this issue. Well, it worked for me. Since Facebook is the gatekeeper for Instagram, so the the parent account for your Instagram account adnd:

Tap in the top right of Facebook.
  1. Tap Settings.
  2. Scroll down to the Your Facebook Information section and tap Off-Facebook Activity.
  3. Tap More Options, then tap Manage Future Activity.
  4. Tap Manage Future Activity.
  5. Tap next to Future Off-Facebook Activity, then tap Turn Off to turn off your future off-Facebook activity.
On 9/19/2021 at 10:31 PM, AniT said:

Should work! 

Thank you! This did the trick and solved the problem! 🙂 

Currently using the Avenue Template.

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2021 at 1:14 AM, p2molvaer said:

Thank you! This did the trick and solved the problem! 🙂 

I tried everything and this finally worked! Thank you! Crazy that squarespace customer support doesn't mention this as a fix. I was nervous / hesitant to disconnect but everything is good. *sigh of relief* 

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm getting this error.

{"error_type": "OAuthException", "code": 400, "error_message": "Your account is connected to Facebook account, and your Facebook account's future off-Facebook activity is currently turned off."}

The steps others have taken in this thread didn't seem to help.

On 9/27/2021 at 9:44 AM, Daveesh said:

I found the solution for this issue. Well, it worked for me. Since Facebook is the gatekeeper for Instagram, so the the parent account for your Instagram account adnd:

Tap in the top right of Facebook.
  1. Tap Settings.
  2. Scroll down to the Your Facebook Information section and tap Off-Facebook Activity.
  3. Tap More Options, then tap Manage Future Activity.
  4. Tap Manage Future Activity.
  5. Tap next to Future Off-Facebook Activity, then tap Turn Off to turn off your future off-Facebook activity.

This didn't help either. Worth noting that the error message states that 'future off-facebook activity' (whatever that means) is OFF... Perhaps the instructions above are incorrect and they should be ON?

8a. Side by side - Horizontal With Google Cloud (Squarespace Circle Profile).png

Rise Digital | Google Workspace Partners
We make companies more productive, with Google Workspace.
Let's connect on LinkedIn

• 2 months later...
On 11/2/2022 at 3:00 PM, XianNewman said:

I'm getting this error.

{"error_type": "OAuthException", "code": 400, "error_message": "Your account is connected to Facebook account, and your Facebook account's future off-Facebook activity is currently turned off."}

The steps others have taken in this thread didn't seem to help.

This didn't help either. Worth noting that the error message states that 'future off-facebook activity' (whatever that means) is OFF... Perhaps the instructions above are incorrect and they should be ON?

Any luck here? I'm still having this issue for a client's site

@XianNewman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I resolved the issue. Facebook has a "Future Off-Facebook" feature that must be enabled from your Facebook page first. 

Here's a link to the steps: 

https://www.facebook.com/help/1224342157705160

I couldn't locate this setting on my computer so I had to use my phone to get to it. If you don't typically log into Facebook using your password you may have to enter it before you can get to this setting. 

Once you've enabled this feature, go to your Squarespace site, then click on Settings > Connected Accounts and remove any unauthenticated accounts that were previously connected and reconnect them. You should now be able to connect your IG account(s).

Hope this helps!

• 2 months later...

It took me awhile. But I found a solution, and it is quite simple.

In squarespace go to Settings > Connected Accounts

Disconnect the Instagram account, then reconnect it.

If error still persists, in the pop up to login click the padlock > manage cookies > delete those cookies.

Do not leave a single crumb.

Then reload the page.

See other answers on how to check Off-Facebook. (It didn't help my case)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2023 at 5:29 PM, andrewgobi said:

It took me awhile. But I found a solution, and it is quite simple.

In squarespace go to Settings > Connected Accounts

Disconnect the Instagram account, then reconnect it.

If error still persists, in the pop up to login click the padlock > manage cookies > delete those cookies.

Do not leave a single crumb.

Then reload the page.

See other answers on how to check Off-Facebook. (It didn't help my case)

I tried this method, but it also didn't seem to work either. 😞 has anyone else found an alternative solution?