0% VAT

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

• Solution

See my post on this subject here:

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 4 months later...

This would be a massive help to me too.  Most of our products are confectionary and have 20% VAT on them.  However we also sell hot chocolate which counts as a beverage ingredient like tea and coffee which are all 0% rated for VAT.  I'd just spent the about half an hour trying to find out how to change the VAT on items before I used google and found this post.  

At the moment we only have the hot chocolate on the website but I'm currently building the products and pages for chocolates to go on and could do with getting this sorted sooner rather than later really.

@paul2009's workaround is ok but not sure how it'd work if someone just ordered 0% items if it won't trigger shipping.  Ideally Squarespace need to add a VAT button/toggle within the "Edit Physical Product" page on the "Pricing & Variants" tab.

Squarespace is great I love it over Wix as it's generally easier to use for someone that's not a professional web designer or coder, but this is a fairly basic thing to get wrong on the e-commerce side as a lot businesses will sell things that are on different levels of VAT or Sales Tax etc.

On 6/12/2020 at 10:04 AM, BrettUK said:

Ive just found it paul - awesome youre a star. I so wish SS would get there act together in this dept. Its like no one realises the things that could be so much better and make it an awesome platform rather than a good one!!

I've got the same issue with my site/store.  I've contacted Squarespace on a chat and they've raised a feature request with their product and development teams.  But the more people that ask for it the more likely it'll end up happening so it might be worth raising one as well. 

5 hours ago, CocoaCollective said:

workaround is ok but not sure how it'd work if someone just ordered 0% items if it won't trigger shipping.

I agree, it’s far from ideal! However, this has gone unfixed for years, so it’s the best we have right now. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, vebookkeeping said:

This issue was flagged in 2018 and still not has been resolved is that right?

You are correct that there still isn’t a way to categories physical goods for different VAT/sales tax rates.

Edited by paul2009

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, disvisuk said:

Selling coffee beans requires a vat rate of 0%, but a french press requires the VAT rate to be 20%. 

It seems I can't do this in sqsp - is that still correct!??

That's correct. Squarespace doesn't support this. To quote from my list of commerce limitations that I shared with Squarespace:

"Products cannot have different VAT rates. If you sell products that have have different rates, or some zero-rated items, this isn’t possible on Squarespace."

Please log a feature request via a support ticket. After more than three years, Squarespace still don't seem to understand how important this is for merchants.

• 7 months later...

Has anyone made any progress on this?

I'm 95% of the way there with an e-commerce website I've been working on for months, and this is one of the final hurdles!

We sell printing, and in the UK, certain products are zero VAT rated. I've seen the work-around by selecting these as products, however it won't be able to be delivered physically?

I've raised a feature request like everyone else, but we need this website functioning by the end of the month - it will take some miracle for SS to fix this in the next few days! 😞

18 minutes ago, lh-cl-2021 said:

Has anyone made any progress on this? [Zero rated VAT] is one of the final hurdles!

Sadly it isn't possible to make any progress on this.

VAT is managed in an area of the platform that only Squarespace's own engineers can update, and they have given no indication that they intend to fix this in 2022.