Afterpay checkout hardly works!

Hello,

We have a large volume ecommerce store handling over 80k+ worth of transactions a month. We have since started accepting Afterpay via Stripe but are getting huge amounts of complaints it never loads.

We noticed traffic coming via links on Facebook etc are mostly affected but in overall we are getting upto 12+ complaints a day and can see we have lost sales because of it.

Is this affecting anyone else? I have reached out to support but can hardly even get a reply. I have also reached out to Stripe but again no response.

This might be the last nail in the coffin for us!

• Replies 11
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/15/2021 at 11:27 AM, queenslanderaviaries said:

We...are getting huge amounts of complaints it never loads. We noticed traffic coming via links on Facebook etc are mostly affected

From your description, this may be because the user has reached your link from within an App (like Facebook or Instagram) and so they are browsing your site using an "in-app browser". These companies use their own in-app browser to keep you from moving out of their app but their browsers lack the functionality that you've come to expect in Safari, Chrome or Firefox and this can cause issues for certain features on certain sites. 

If you are experiencing issues with Afterpay then I recommend you get in touch with Squarespace Customer Care and provide them with details so that they can investigate.

For example:

What is the URL of the website?

Do you have any custom code installed?

What specifically are customers complaining about? What do they see (or not see)?

At which stage of the purchase funnel does something "not load"?

Have you been able to replicate the issue and take screenshots?

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 9:17 PM, paul2009 said:

Can you provide a few more details?

For example:

What is the URL of the website?

Do you have any custom code installed?

What specifically are customers complaining about? What do they see (or not see)?

At which stage of the purchase funnel does something "not load"?

Have you been able to replicate the issue and take screenshots?

Hi,

Our website is www.queenslanderaviaries.com

No custom code installed

When customers are directed to Afterpay to complete transaction it never loads or displays a blank screen.

I have not been able to replicate the issue. 

At this point we are in the proccess of moving to another website provider.

8 minutes ago, queenslanderaviaries said:

When customers are directed to Afterpay to complete transaction it never loads or displays a blank screen.

Have you reported this to Squarespace? You can reach out to them here.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2021 at 11:19 PM, paul2009 said:

Have you reported this to Squarespace? You can reach out to them here.

Yes, multiple times with no response ever!

We assume other people are having issues as well. The "Squarespace Failed Customer Payments" page has refereced that afterpay can't be used when people use in-app browsers. This is the issue.

Which is silly because what business these days are not using social media to bring in customers only for them to not use be able to checkout seamlessly.  We loose around 20-30 sales because of this a day with our rocord being 52 in one day.

We also get around ten or so complaints a week from people who have their orders cancelled by Afterpay because they take the money and then never complete the order with Squarespace, hence we don't know this happens until the customer comes at us saying we canceled the order.

Because of all these issues we have to have multiple tacky Aterpay help buttons all over our site so we don't miss any sales.

Squarespace - Stripe are good but when you throw in Afterpay it's a nightmare. 

39 minutes ago, queenslanderaviaries said:

The "Squarespace Failed Customer Payments" page has referenced that afterpay can't be used when people use in-app browsers. This is the issue.

Thanks for posting this additional information. It sounds like a nightmare.

I'd like to think that it's possible to fix this with some code that checks if the visitor is using an in-app browser and redirects them to use their device's default browser. For example:

if(navigator.userAgent.includes("Instagram"))

This isn't something that I've tested, but it may be worth exploring.

• 4 months later...
On 8/9/2021 at 11:34 PM, queenslanderaviaries said:

Yes, multiple times with no response ever!

We assume other people are having issues as well. The "Squarespace Failed Customer Payments" page has refereced that afterpay can't be used when people use in-app browsers. This is the issue.

Which is silly because what business these days are not using social media to bring in customers only for them to not use be able to checkout seamlessly.  We loose around 20-30 sales because of this a day with our rocord being 52 in one day.

We also get around ten or so complaints a week from people who have their orders cancelled by Afterpay because they take the money and then never complete the order with Squarespace, hence we don't know this happens until the customer comes at us saying we canceled the order.

Because of all these issues we have to have multiple tacky Aterpay help buttons all over our site so we don't miss any sales.

Squarespace - Stripe are good but when you throw in Afterpay it's a nightmare. 

My store is also facing the same problems with AfterPay! 

Customers are raising multiple complaints against our store, essentially they are trying to checkout using AfterPay.

The customer believes their order has been processed, we receive no notification until the customer contacts us to say where is their order?

Through the Stripe backend we can then see transaction has been attempted - but marked as 'Failed' or 'Cancelled'. 

What's happening is the transaction is attempted and fails for some unknown reason, we don't receive the order, or the money. However the customer receives an AfterPay Order Number and it displays a transaction on their AfterPay Account. So the customer believes that they have paid!

I have reached out to AfterPay with no resolution... I believe there is some integration issue with SquareSpace and AfterPay, this is really hurting our business and reputation.

Is there any solution to this problem?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/9/2021 at 10:21 PM, paul2009 said:

Thanks for posting this additional information. It sounds like a nightmare.

I'd like to think that it's possible to fix this with some code that checks if the visitor is using an in-app browser and redirects them to use their device's default browser. For example:

if(navigator.userAgent.includes("Instagram"))

This isn't something that I've tested, but it may be worth exploring.

Hi @paul2009 would this code be added to CSS or Header code? 

2 hours ago, TheClimbCollaborative said:

would this code be added to CSS or Header code? 

As @creedon said, the line of code was JavaScript, and so would have been used as part of a solution in the code injection panel. However, it is now out of date.

Edited by paul2009

• 4 months later...