reserving items in cart

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: https://www.hubcityvintage.com/watches

On our online store, almost every product is different. People often compete for the same item.  We have done tests and have found that the item is not reserved on checkout.  Its race for our customers to put in credit card details.  Often times it seems like a customer has secured an item and finished the purchase process, only for it to say "cannot complete," or something like that, with no warning to the customer. Not only is it frustrating for our customers, its also very confusing. The website does nothing to explain that their payment won't process because the item has already been sold. Is there anyway for this to not be the case? I thought that once you hit checkout items where held. Can anyone help me with a solution?

• Solution
7 hours ago, watchfam said:

People often compete for the same item.  We have done tests and have found that the item is not reserved on checkout. Is there anyway for this to not be the case? I thought that once you hit checkout items were held. Can anyone help me with a solution?

Products are not reserved when a customer reaches the checkout page. A product's stock level will only reduce when a customer completes the final step within the checkout, and payment is attempted. If you have one of a product left in stock and two customers added it to their carts at the same time, the product will be sold to whoever completes checkout first. This cannot be changed. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

I can't image there are any major commerce systems that would reserve a product just because a customer put something in the cart. It's just not workable.

I can't tell you how many times I've put something in a cart with the intent of buying down the road when I have more items to buy. Now imagine if several thousand others did as I did. The merchant wouldn't be able to sell anything because all the inventory would be reserved for people who may or may not actually buy!

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.