Customize numbering of ordered lists across multiple text blocks

Site URL: https://rainbowfaithandfreedom.org/file-download-page

Hi everyone! I'm writing a "how-to" page for my peeps. It has numbered steps and then screenshots in between to show them what to click.

Issue: numbering restarts in each new text block.

Question: How do I make numbering continue from one text block to another?

The block order is:

<text block> - contains steps with the numbered list formatting applied.
<image block> - shows a screenshot
<text block> - continues to next step, but numbering restarts at 1. I want this number to continue from the previous step number.

See the green highlights in the attached screenshot.

Many thanks!

Screen_Shot_2021-06-28_at_15_14_57.png

Edited by Milkor
  • Milkor changed the title to Customize numbering of ordered lists across multiple text blocks
  • 1 year later...

I have the same issue and it's insanely annoying. Squarespace, please add a "continue numbering" button or help find another solution for this! 😭 Numbering in blogs should be easy and flawless, same with adding pictures that don't mess up the numbering - it's one of the most common structures for blog posts after all. 

This is not a specific solution but shows a general principle that is it not too hard to get what you want with a little custom CSS.

<style>

/* begin unset SS defaults */

ol[data-rte-list] li {

counter-increment : unset;

}

ol[data-rte-list] li:first-child {

counter-reset : unset;

}

/* end unset SS defaults */

/* begin number list increment continue */

#page {

counter-reset : rte-list;

}

#page ol[data-rte-list] li {

counter-increment : rte-list;

}

/* end number list increment continue */

</style>

This example would be for a whole regular page where you want the numbers to keep incrementing across Numbered List in a text block.

557594547_ScreenShot2022-12-14at7_48_56PM.png.f1566f8e2afbc03e80a7f15c4ddec679.png

Here we can see two text blocks with Numbered Lists with a line block in between.

By changing the selectors you can of course target different areas of a page. It could be by page section or even narrowed down to a particular blog posts.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 3 weeks later...