What are the main indicators that you use to track site performance, and why?

Congratulations, the first big step has been taken - you launched your website! 

Now, it’s time to check how it is doing. Monitoring Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for your site will help you determine its performance, uncover optimization opportunities and ultimately assist you with converting your visitors into actual customers. 

Squarespace Analytics is our website reporting tool, designed to empower users with a wide range of insights including pageviews, conversion, sales, referrers, and bounce rate, that can offer a clear picture of how your site is performing. Set yourself up for success thinking through what exactly you want to measure, why you are measuring it, and what actionable steps you’ll be able to take. And through the Squarespace App you can have this info accessible on the go! 

The most relevant and useful metrics to track are certainly dependent on your website and business goals. Nevertheless, there are some claimed key website KPIs that should require attention like conversion rates, mobile vs desktop traffic, or traffic sources. Which are your top ones and why? Tell us about them in the comments below.

Good question! For me, a qualified lead (form fill) is a conversion. As such, I find time on page a valuable indicator. Of course, KPIs are often contextual, and a lengthy time on page isn't always a good thing - perhaps people are confused, and calls to action aren't clear.  In my case, however, time on page gives me a good idea of if people are landing somewhere that meets expectations. 

If I'm running ads through search, display, or paid social and my click-through rate (CTR) is good, but time on page is short, it is an indication that my landing page doesn't appropriately align with what they were hoping to find. 

I also find traffic sources valuable - this gives you an idea of how different channels are performing and if they are contributing towards conversion, and where there are opportunities to build out a larger content strategy. 

Looking forward to hearing what other people find helpful :)